365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape?

+11
Julie
KathyK
Peg Coover
Chris M
ounce
dot520
Michael Enright
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Admin
Martin VW
15 posters

Go down

Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape? Empty Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape?

Post  Martin VW Thu May 24, 2012 4:23 pm

With summer bearing down on us, I was curious what people wear, and why, when the weather gets oppressive, to deal with the heat?

Some favor visors because they allow more heat to be released. Others expressed concern about darker hair absorbing more heat from the sun than their white running hats. Buffs and headbands maximize evaporation, but also increase direct exposure, so is it worth it? Drape hats offer better sun protection, but do they keep the heat contained more?

this past weekend, I saw every imagninable alternative for a 12K race.

Is there a consensus? What's "best" for summer marathon training?
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape? Empty Re: Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape?

Post  Admin Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

I've no idea what's best, but I wear skull caps... just because.

This guy Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape? 4044942068 likes the headband.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape? Empty Re: Buff, Headband, Visor, Hat or Drape?

Post  Nick Morris Thu May 24, 2012 4:38 pm

I prefer to go au natural and wear nothing on my head. For starters, running with something on my head really annoys/bothers me. Second, I like to think that I am allowing the heat to leave my body through my head and keep me cooler. I do have to wipe the sweat from my brow ever so often, but I don't seem to mind that.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I wear a lightweight ventilated ball cap made for running. I, personally, do not like visors as they bother my head (like a headband) and I can stick ice under the hat which has come in handy in hot weather long runs and races.

Of course, MVW, you can always wear a "dew rag" (bandana)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Baseball-style running cap. Keeps the sun off my bald(ing) head and off my face, both of which are extremely sensitive to the sun (and basal-prone).
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Bob L always wore the headband, so that must be the answer.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 pm

White skull cap (sweat-vac brand) because it can fit against the waistband of my shorts, when I don't wear it. I do it for being folliclely (sp?) challenged.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 am

I am required (by spouse and doctor) to say that I run 100% of the time outside with either a wicking baseball style hat or visor. I don't know how it is possible that there are hundreds and hundreds of pictures of me running races hat-less. I do hate wearing a hat of any kind but clearly I would never go against both wife and doctor (3 melanomas already) and run hat-less. That's my official statement.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri May 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Almost all the time I use a bandana folded up as a headband. I sweat a lot. Have to have a headband. But, sometimes I do a visor too. That helps with the sweat too.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri May 25, 2012 12:50 pm

I wear a visor. Honestly I wear the visor rather than a hat because I like the summer highlights the sun gives my hair. ;-)

And Chris...I never recognize you new avatar pic because you ARE wearing a hat.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Running hat, almost always. One, it keeps the sweat out of my eyes. Two, it means that when I do use sunscreen I can skip my forehead, so that it doesn't drip into my eyes and sting.

IMO keeping the sun off of my head in hot weather keeps me cooler. Definitely felt good to put cool water and ice in it during Boston. Add in the sun protection factor for head and face and it's an easy choice.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 25, 2012 2:54 pm

I don't wear any extra head covering. I wore a cap once and it kept threatening to blow away even with having my pony tail tucked in. I usually am done running by 6:30 a.m. though so it's not a big deal I don't think.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun May 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Baseball-style running cap. Keeps the sun off my bald(ing) head and off my face, both of which are extremely sensitive to the sun (and basal-prone).

Agreed.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 am

I have my wife ride her bike beside me holding an umbrella. Smile
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 pm

I like hats. Great to soak in the water fountains on hot summer days.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm

White, baseball style running hat. Then I soak it every water stop and let the water run down / cool my head.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down