365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

+15
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Schuey
mul21
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
John Kilpatrick
Seth Harrison
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love Empty Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

Post  Neil Ruggiero Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:17 pm

I had some big plans laid out for myself this summer, but after a few weeks of evaluating where my fitness really lies, I think its time to rethink my goals and change my focus slightly. My body certainly can't handle the kind of mileage I was running before doing my first ultra, and while on most days I feel great aerobically, I find my muscles are often lagging behind. So what does this mean for my summer training?

First of all, I can't honestly say that I've yet to learn to fully enjoy the simple act of running. One of the big challenges for my running career has been consistency, and I feel that is largely due to the fact that I see most runs as work, and not fun. And if you think about it, all the best athletes in their respective sports truly enjoy it, and that is part of what makes them so good. Listening to the likes of Anton Krupicka, and Geoff Roes, I've learned I'm missing something on my runs. They truly get pleasure out of running, and I don't. I need to find out why, and apply those lessons to my own training. After all, life is about having fun, and I want to enjoy running in more settings than just racing.

My first step towards this goal is to start running a lot more trails. I've got a nice network of trails about 200ft from my doorstep, and several more mountainous areas within driving distance. Ever hear of seven sisters trial race? Right next door to me Smile . In the little trail running I've done so far, I'm enjoying it a ton more. Things are more interesting, less monotonous, the hills and climbs provide natural VO2max and threshold training.

Secondly, I've found a couple people in the area that are hardcore trail ultra runners. I've started tagging along with them on some runs, and its a blast. Blazing through the trails with a couple friends, nothing makes a tough climb or a tough run more enjoyable.

As far as my training plan goes, I'm pretty much winging it. Gonna be taking a page from a guy a run with and train by time for my trail runs. I'll still keep track of mileage, but it won't be my goal, time will. I'll be making sure to get in 1-2 long runs a week, and getting in a harder threshold / sprint workout most weeks too.

Other than that, I'd still like to make good on my challenge with Mike to beat him in all major race distances. I'd like to get a few more 50k's under my belt this season, and do them on trails.

p.s. So pumped everyone here got together to make this new forum. My past and future running career would be far worse off without you guys Smile
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love Empty Re: Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

Post  Tom H Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Seems like trail running is gaining popularity here. Check out Mark B's blog, he's just taken the plunge into trails as well. Seems like there will be a good subgroup for discussion. Hope the trail running gives helps you find the joy of running you seek.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love Empty Re: Trails, Ultras, and Learning to Love

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey stranger, glad to see you made it here. I'm going to let you in on a secret: I'll likely race only 2 10k's the entire summer, neither of which are flat, so if you pick any other distance, you'll probably destroy me. I've got trail/ultra fever, and I've got it bad. That said, if you post a time that's within my grasp for any distance, you can bet your ass I'll be out there trying to beat it within a month.

Awesome that you've found some ultra buddies. That's gotta be a fun time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:36 pm

Tom H wrote:Seems like trail running is gaining popularity here. Check out Mark B's blog, he's just taken the plunge into trails as well. Seems like there will be a good subgroup for discussion. Hope the trail running gives helps you find the joy of running you seek.

Hm... given the trail race I just ran, what with the huge cliffs and all, I don't know that "plunge" is the most best word to describe it! Wink

But Tom is right - a lot of us seem to be wanting to hit the dirt this summer. I'm looking forward to following your journey.

I think you made a wise choice, deciding to seek out the joy that's been missing in your runs. It sounds like you've started to find it already.

Last edited by Mark B on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:43 pm

EXCELLENT title! Neil, I am in the EXACT same boat as you. In fact, Martin and I were just talking about it yesterday. I, like you, have struggled with consistency. I love the idea of running, but not the action itself. You made a good point about it feeling like work...it was like you were in my head when I was reading your post. I hate to say it, but it was nice to see someone else having those same feelings. It will be a fun journey and it will be nice following your progress, because we're in the same boat. Both of us will find the love of it, I know it!

Keep up the great attitude! We're glad to have you here. This new forum is great, and I really think the positive vibes and good energy will be just the spark and motivation we need. bounce bounce
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm

If I recall you really jumped into high mileage and went from a marathon or two to ultra. It's like skipping appetizer salad and entree and just stuffing yourself with dessert.

Get connected with the run. What better way then getting close to the earth. Trails give that sensr of oneness with everything.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:04 pm

As someone who had always done the overwhelming majority of my running in trails, I never gave much though to whether I'd enjoy running as much if most of my miles were done on the road, but when I think about, it makes sense. When I'm running on the trails, especially in the beautiful preserve that I do much of my training on, I always have a sense of gratitude. I don't know that I have that same sense when I'm out on the road, amid the cars, traffic lights, etc.
At any rate, I really hope you enjoy your trail running. As has already been pointed out, that seems to be trend around here right now.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 am

Look forward to following your blog Neil. At this rate with all of our trail runners, there will be an iTeam ultra trail run someday!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 am

While I think trail runs would be difficult (hills) I think they would be so pretty! Good luck in training and "feel the love!"
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 am

As someone who runs almost exclusively on sub-division streets, I can totally understand the thrill of getting out and actually running in nature. I wish it were possible for me, without a significant drive, but alas, not so.

Good luck with the training, and I think NOT having a plan is actually a good plan for you. Just run.

BTW, what are you doing, footwear-wise, for trail running?
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Ken Mello wrote:

BTW, what are you doing, footwear-wise, for trail running?

I don't think he's sure yet since he asked for reviews in the equipment section!

Get out there Neil and have some fun! If that means running fast more often or short more often, just do it and have a good time with it!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:46 pm

So how's it going Neil? Are you starting to find the answer for how you can enjoy running? I hope things are going well and that you are getting some runs in and more importantly having FUN doing it.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey Neil...Glad to hear that you have a plan laid out for this training cycle. I have ran a few trail races and have done some training runs on trails, too. They do seem to break up the monotony of paved running. Good luck with all of your training and I look forward to following along.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Tom - I hope I find joy in trial running too Smile Its eerie how so many people seem to be switching to trail running / ultras. I love it!

Mike - Ya I've been reconsidering some of my plans too. I know I'm gonna race at least one 5k, but I might just do trail races other than that. If I'm in really good shape an know I can knock out a BQ, then I'll do that. But otherwise its another ultra this fall. The running buddies are amazing, gonna play a big role in learning to love the run.

Mark - And I'm definitely looking forward to following your running also. I'm sure there's gonna be some twists and turns in the road specific to trail running, and we can help each other figure out ways past them!

Mrs. Shuey - Its just too weird! I love having done a run, but its sometimes so hard just to get out the door and start it! With the allure of trails and varying terrain, nature, and exploring it seems to be a little easier every day Smile

Kenny - Ya I only did a couple marathons then it was right into the high mileage stuff, and I think I have been cheating myself a little. I'm gonna take a more conservative go-as-you-feel approach and just focus on time spent running, and ENJOY IT.

Seth - Exactly, the roads are a place for work, and the trails are a place for fun and adventure! I honestly don't have a good reason for not switching to trail running much earlier, I wish I had.

John - I know me and Mike talked about possibly getting together for an ultra this fall. If anyone is ever running an ultra in the New England area, I'll be right there with ya, just lemme know!

Ken - No plan seems to work better for me always. If I have a plan and miss a day, I feel like shit about it. I run to enjoy myself, not to worry about it. For now as long as I get 7+ hours of running in, I'm happy with my week.

As far as my shoes for the trails, I'm currently wearing a pair of Brooks Mach 12 spikeless XC flats. They work pretty well for now, but are meant for more groomed trails than some of the ones I see, and aren't very grippy. Once I start my new job and can afford them, I'm gonna pick up a pair of the Trail Minimus. Overall I feel its the best minimalist trail shoe (Inov-8 Bare-Grip is also very good for muddy trails, but not rocky ones), and it was designed by my man-crush Anton Krupicka! WIN WIN

Jim - That's how I gotta do it, just get out and run. No matter how long or short, just do it and get back into the habit again!

Shuey - Ya, been a while since I posted in here lol. Things have been going well, details to follow. I find that once I get out on the trails, I really do enjoy myself. I get lost in nature, not thinking about for much further I have to go. Just really lost in the moment.

Nick - Before now I'd only run on trails a handful of times, and never for more than 1-2 miles at a time. Trail races are gonna be fun too, can't wait to run one!
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:33 pm

PHEW! Now that I'm all caught up on those, onto my running Smile

I can't exactly remember all the runs I've been on lately. But I do know that I got a good 90 minute effort on the trails this past weekend. Also got a few shorter runs of about 40-50 minutes.

Thursday - 7.2 miles, 8:41 pace. Went out with the intention of running for an hour, and ran a little extra to finish off things at 7 miles. Felt really nice out there!

Tomorrow morning I've got a 2.5-3 hour effort out on the hillier trails of Mt. Tom with a friend.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Trail running did the trick for me when I was burned out years ago. I've not gone back as regularly as I'd like msotley because I'm older now and it's harder; however, I really loved the calmness and tranquility it offers - jsut me and my thoughts (there were no iPods back then Wink )
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Michelle - I never run with music either, even on the roads. Its my me time to think about the day and just relax.

So on to my running over the past couple of days!

Fri - Rest
Sat - 90 minute effort out on some really nice and REALLY steep trails. It was so steep they had ropes!
Sun - 60 minute effort. Just a nice and easy gettin out there kinda run. My usual hour long run usually ends up being 7 miles, so that comes out to 8:52 cruisin' pace for trails.
Mon - Rest
Tue - Was planning on an hour run, but I twisted my ankle several times on Sunday's run. I wasn't fully healed up yet so I packed it in and called it a day after about 4 miles.
Wed - Ankle still felt a little weird today, so I went to the gym and did a pretty hard hour on the elliptical. Hard leg wise, not so much cardiovascular wise.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Glad to see you're still getting back into it, but with these week-long absences, I start wondering if you're doing some secret training to prepare for our 1v1...

And ropes?! That sounds awesome. You'll have to bring a camera next time.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 pm

I hit the trail whenever my running needs a mental boost. It's impossible to run on a trail and not be happy. Seth put it best -- I too always have a sense of gratitude when I run the trails.
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 am

Hey Neil, nice job with the running. Hope your ankle gets better.

I actually ran in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago. I started near Randals in Ludlow on 21, then went into Granby and went over Turkey Hill in Belchertown and back on 21 and headed back to Randals. Got caught in a pretty good downpour the few miles but it was fun.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:46 am

Natalie - Isn't it nice out there? After having run trails for about a month now I can't imagine why I'd go back to running roads. Funny thing is, when I first started running I met a good ultra runner, and he told me "Once you start running trails, you'll never go back to roads". At the time I didn't believe him.

Alex - Hey, I had no idea you live in my neck of the woods! Was that run you did the other day on trails? We should get together for some runs! Let me know when you have some time to go for a run and we can meetup on trails or the roads.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:53 am

Nice running but how is the ankle?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:25 am

The ankle is feeling much better today, and I think I'm ready to go out for another run. I'll head out this afternoon to see how it feels, at the very least I can get some road miles in because there won't really be any danger of rolling it on a flat surface.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am

Neil - I have your singlet her waiting for a physical address not a PO Box. Can you PM me the address. I emailed you last week but no response!

Thanks!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Neal, I was on the roads. We can do some runs. I don't mind trails as long as they're not techinical because I'm pretty uncordinated.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next