365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run

+6
fostever
ounce
carleenp
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
dot520
10 posters

Go down

Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run Empty Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run

Post  dot520 Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 pm

Ran the Indy Mini today as the finishing touches to my base training this past winter as I gear up for Chicago Marathon this fall. When I signed up for it, the half was to be a culmination of great training and show me where I stand at this point. After figuring out that the weather forecast for today was going to be humid, hot and fairly disgusting, I decided to use it as a training run. Get it done without hurting myself so I can start my marathon training in a week or so.

Here's how I managed to keep from racing:
Had a friend come from out of town who I haven't seen in a while. Stay at a hotel downtown as roomies.
Wait around for roomie to show up at 8pm, go to the expo and then out to dinner at 10 pm prior to the race.
Open a bottle of wine after dinner and finish that off while catching up on news and whatnot until 1:00 am.
Sleep on a hard bed and get about 2 hours sleep.
Eat your race morning breakfast the day before while waiting for roomie to show up which allows you to nibble on the sourdough roll you snuck out of the restaurant last night.
Make a lousy cup of coffee on race morning, drink one sip and dump it.

Go outside, start the race and then go about 1.5 minutes per mile slower than anticipated. Goal accomplished! Bring on marathon training! Yahooo!

Awesome!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run Empty Re: Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run

Post  Michael Enright Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Sounds like a well executed plan! On to Chicago...
Smile
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run Empty Re: Indy Mini- How to execute a perfect training run

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 06, 2012 10:52 am

Sounds like fun! Yeah, Dot.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun May 06, 2012 10:59 am

I am often guilty of trying to race races that I enter with the intent to run them as training runs. I think I'll try your plan next time, or at least the most fun parts of it such as drinking a bottle of wine and staying up to 1am!

carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 07, 2012 11:07 am

Nice, Dot! You should write a book.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon May 07, 2012 11:38 am

Party on Garth, I mean Dot! Hope you felt ok.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm

sounds like a smart plan with those conditions humidity is evil and that is a crowded crowded race. Do they have the mini beer stop at mile 11 still?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Cool!

How was the weather?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Amyjoanne: No, no beer stop. Hasn't been around for at least 3 years now....so sad.

Jerry: Do you like humidity or only dry heat? This was 66-ish at the start with 97% humidity that was about 72 degrees when I finished. It felt hot just in mile one....oh, and the sun came out for the day which really heated up the track. Nice.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Sounds like a great training run! Best of luck with Chicago training!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Yup, that's how you execute it. Cool
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down