365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting over in Maine

+23
ChasMcG
Penelope
Dave-O
Chris M
JohnP
John Kilpatrick
Natalie
healdgator
Peg Coover
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Scott C
Matt W
mul21
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Max M
Kenny B.
Mrs. Schuey
Schuey
Seth Harrison
KBFitz
Diego
27 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Starting over in Maine - Page 2 Empty Re: Starting over in Maine

Post  healdgator Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

I would love to do one of those Maine marathons, we visited a couple of years ago and loved it. The timing is poor for a Floridian. An October marathon means a lot of roadwork in July and August. Maybe in another life. Do you have a favorite from that group?
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:33 pm

jimd wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hey, Jim. So after a Maine winter, are you yet enjoying a Maine summer? It should be way better than a Tennessee one.

Girl, you are not kidding. A mini-twister tore some shingles off our roof and took down two trees in our yard and many others back in Tennessee. Only God knows when our house will sell.

Let's see. 95 -99 in TN vs. 65 here. Tough choice. cheers

Where in TN are you from, Jim? I grew up in Oak Ridge. My folks still live in OR and West Knox, apparently some really nasty storms (again) last week.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Not only did I (also) read that you ran 50 miles in a day, but I misread URI as UTI. Soooo.... a not so careful reader (myself) might think that you went out and ran 50 miles, then caught a UTI from your son. lol!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey Jim some great post by you and it looks like the family is really liking Maine! Congrats on some good runs of late. I will have to disagree with you about the Red Sox adding another banner! Congrats to your wife and her book I hope she is able to get it published. Hoping things keep getting better and better for you and your family, so far it looks like the move to Maine has been a great choice.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:49 am

Interesting run today. I interrupted a raccoon feeding on a bird feeder 7 feet above the ground and then got home to find a deer in our yard. There's a good sized lake across the street. I am so ready to start jumping in. I can't wait until our neighbors put out the dock.

I tried that 2 sets of the 2 x3 LT-10 seconds and LT + 10 seconds workout yesterday. I had to guess a bit since I have no feel whatsoever for my paces. Usually LT is about 20 seconds less than MP or pretty close to 15k pace(whatever you can run in 1 hour).

It's not too bad a workout. My LT is about 30 seconds slower than what it was last summer but it will get there.
3 minutes at 6:50, 3 @ 7:10, then repeat two more times. 4 minute jog, repeat the 6:50 and 7:10 repeats 3 times. I covered about 5.2 miles through the speedwork alone.

When I'm in better shape, this workout will actually become too easy. It's not too difficult to run 5 miles continuously at 15k pace and the LT+10 gives you a nice break that makes the workout useful but not too hard. You look forward to the break every 3 minutes.

I can't wait until I'm fit enough to do this later this summer. I'm sure I can get down to 6:20 and 6:40.

So for those who want to try this wokout, don't be bashful. The LT+10 seconds offers enough of a rest period.

We have family in town now, which is a good thing for our minds because we lost our 14 year old dog to sepsis from a perforated ulcer on Tuesday. So both of our huskies Isha(1996-2006) and Miracle(1997-2011) are now gone. When the kids are a bit older, we'll get another puppy.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 am

bummer about the dog - 14 years is hard to say goodbye to. That run sounds hard to me!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:26 pm

cheers Since we're about to head out the door for the 4th of July festivities, I figured I'd also celebrate my first 20 miler this year. For a no fluid, no carb run, it was ok. Dew point was about 63 and it was overcast. Let's see if I can build on it.

We also went whale watching in Boothbay Harbor, saw many Minky whales and the boat went right over a 25 foot basking shark. We ate lunch at the Lobster Dock. They will be facing off against Bobby Flay(crab cake throwdown July 20th). We had some crab cakes, fantastic homemade blueberry pie and some Seadog Blueberry Wheat Ale. Later that day, we ate at Red Eats--famous for their lobster rolls(about a lb of lobster and always big lines(Wiscasset, Maine). Very sweet but tiring day.

I have been on the ocean a lot, but I have never seen the ocean so calm. It looked like a mirror. Boy, I would have loved to go waterskiing on it. It made whale spotting very easy.

Happy Independence Day!!! cheers
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:22 pm

No carbs I can understand. No fluids, I can't. But happy fourth anyway!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Ah, sorry to hear about the dog. Our black lab is 15 and I'm mentally prepping myself to say goodbye. Did I ever recommend Haraseeket Lobster to you? Its a must if you ever find yourself in Freeport. 36 Main Street and right on the water. Bring your own beer. Completely informal but awesome - you watch them pull the lobsters out of the boat and pop them into the pot for you.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Aww, I'm so sorry about your dog.

I love Bobby Flay's Throw Down. When will it air?
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Dewpoint of 63 is no joke. Handling that type of humidity is a damn good sign of fitness.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Sorry about your dog, Jim.

I am however not sorry that you are enjoying lobster rolls, and I am not. Curse you Twisted Evil (Just kidding - I bet they were great! Nothing better in my opinion).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Stopping in to say hello. I'm really behind--I didn't realize you moved to Maine. Everyone says it's so beautiful up there. Sounds like you had a nice 4th. The whale-watching sounds pretty cool. Good luck on your training--you have a pretty full fall schedule!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

healdgator wrote:
jimd wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hey, Jim. So after a Maine winter, are you yet enjoying a Maine summer? It should be way better than a Tennessee one.

Girl, you are not kidding. A mini-twister tore some shingles off our roof and took down two trees in our yard and many others back in Tennessee. Only God knows when our house will sell.

Let's see. 95 -99 in TN vs. 65 here. Tough choice. cheers

Where in TN are you from, Jim? I grew up in Oak Ridge. My folks still live in OR and West Knox, apparently some really nasty storms (again) last week.

We lived in Pulaski, TN and I spent 2 months doing some locum tenens in Maryville(what an awesome river path!!) waiting for my Maine license to clear. We still have a house with a pool for sale there if you know any buyers. rabbit
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks Chris, John, Natalie, and Michele. We're definitely going to need a new dog soon. The house just isn't the same.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 am

Sorry about your dog JimD. Our 12 year old Weimaraner left us in June this year too. Tough times.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 am

Schuey wrote:Hey Jim some great post by you and it looks like the family is really liking Maine! Congrats on some good runs of late. I will have to disagree with you about the Red Sox adding another banner! Congrats to your wife and her book I hope she is able to get it published. Hoping things keep getting better and better for you and your family, so far it looks like the move to Maine has been a great choice.

I'd love nothing better than to never see the Red Sox or Yankees in the World Series. If my Halo's can get any decent hitting in the next two months, I think I might see them in the World Series. They dominate NL squads--13-5 in interleague play this year.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:16 pm

If the Red Sox play the Braves, I'll be one happy chica.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog. They are such nice family members and so sad to see them go.

Hang in there with the humidity!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:18 pm

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=440520

Let's see if this works. I'm trying to paste a link to my long run route, including elevation. Cool, it works. You just have to click elevation to see the route. It's really 20 miles from my front door but I couldn't follow the roads and Kennebec River Trail exactly. That incline you see around mile 14 is severe--about 15-22% in spots.

When we had dinner along the Kennebec River two nights ago we watched from the patio as 2 bald eagles fed their almost fully grown and flying eaglets. Very cool! I have never been that close to the eagles or ever seen one catch a fish in front of me. It also turns out that the owner of the restaurant is one our neighbors who moved here from Chicago.

Lake Cobbossee is one of the only fresh water lakes/ponds to have a lighthouse in it. Pretty cool, they call it the 'Lady of the Lake'.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Great run - looks like beautiful scenery. Eagles are neat - when we sample fish via electrofishing (it stuns them and they will lay on the surface for a while), eagles and ospreys will grab fish we miss sometimes right behind us.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Jim! You know next time you're in Denver, you can call us and then we'll meet you at the Yard House!

Good luck with the marathons! I didn't know you took 2 years off from marathons. Glad to have you over here too!
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 am

ChasMcG wrote:Jim! You know next time you're in Denver, you can call us and then we'll meet you at the Yard House!

Good luck with the marathons! I didn't know you took 2 years off from marathons. Glad to have you over here too!

Thanks Chas and Tim. I could have used the company. Many of my friends either missed the conference or brought their young families with them.

I never really intended to take a hiatus from marathoning. My job search and move got in the way of Boston and fall marathons last year. Too bad really, especially after all the 20 milers I had run in the Eastern TN heat and humidity.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Jim,

My daughter is interviewing for a job in Portland. She loves Maine. Went to Bowdoin College, just 30 minutes North of you and graduated last May. Hates Colby - big rival - and would never vote for changing their mascot. Would ruin the Bowdoin students cheering section chanting - "Mules are sterile". Laughing

We ran the MDI last year. Awesome, awesome time. Unbelievable scenery that time of the year. Make sure you take the coastal route #1 on the way there. Really nice. If you want, I can give you some recommendations for restaurants and place to stay. Bar Harbor is fun.

She's training for a Sept marathon now. If she ends up making the final cut for a face to face interview she might be looking for a partner for a run some evening.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:27 am

Lots of firsts this week. First time I have ever been sick in July. Almost ended up in the hospital with severe SOB(Never take claritin to dry up the post nasal drip and cough) on Monday night and Tuesday. Like the postman, I still found a way to deliver patient care all week. I precept family medicine residents Friday afternoon and always have a great time with that part of my job.

Then our cooktop went out. Each motherboard costs $400(x3) with no guarantee that they will fix the problem. Motherboard engineers are on my need to die list.Evil or Very Mad So now we're trying to find a new cooktop(Viking, Electrolux, Kitchen Aid) and figure out whether to go with gas or not. We're still a few years away from having natural gas piped into our area. So it's either propane or a hydrid induction system. Either way, we will also have to pay for a granite person to enlarge the cutout. Good thing we have a grill. But winter's not too far off.

We also went to the Old Hallowell parade Saturday and had lobster panini and a Blue Moon lunch on the water. There were so many dance and song teams and costumed folks that the kids thought it "was a great day". You have to give props to anyone who dances for 90 minutes in the July heat at 10-11 AM. There were also at least 10 fire engines. The kids received more candy than they would have at Halloween. Very cool day!!

Running week:

Monday-- 8 miles in a cough, cough cough, wheeze manner
Tuesday-- survival--it's helps to be a doctor and get some prednisone.pale
Wednesday--4 miles walking--coughed so hard and so often that I tore the bottom of my tongue. Good thing it had already been clipped when I was a baby.tongue
Thursday-- 8 miles After 4 miles of cough, cough cough, I found a rhythm and ran the final 4 miles 30 minutes faster than the first 4 miles.
Friday rest
Saturday--10 miles at close to MP effort(FWIW)--feeling better
Sunday--20 miles with 20 oz gatorade(not nearly enough) in 2:50. It got pretty warm. I also got attacked by lots of flies over the last 2 miles through the forest and was helpless to do anything about it. I'm out the door at 4AM instead of 5AM next week.

Total 50 miles

At least now I feel like a runner again:bounce: , but I have a serious time crunch and only 4 weeks left until I try to qualify for Boston on a hilly course in St. John, NB. Definitely not a walk in the park or guaranteed.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next