365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Philly marathon

4 posters

Go down

Question about Philly marathon Empty Question about Philly marathon

Post  Diego Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I am almost certain that I will run this marathon in November to make my 2nd and probably final attempt at breaking 3:00.

1) How quickly does it fill up? They are already well above 5-6k after opening April 1.

2) Where are good places for families to stay? We'll probably drive.

3) Is Philly a good course to set a PR? I like somewhat rolling courses with lots of turns and few, really long straightaways.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Question about Philly marathon Empty Re: Question about Philly marathon

Post  KBFitz Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Scott will concur and may have additional remarks.

1) How quickly does it fill up?

• I believe Philadelphia has reached capacity every year since 2007, when they issued a 'Rocky Challenge' to those of us who ran the ill-fated LBCM (Got Water?). It has closed sooner each year, closing last year some time in September, I believe.
2) Where are good places for families to stay?

• At a friend's house. I jest. Plenty of good hotels on Ben Franklin Pkwy right near the start and some very attractive B&Bs in and around Rittenhouse Square.
3)
Is Philly a good course to set a PR? I like somewhat rolling
courses with lots of turns and few, really long straightaways.

• You'll get what you're looking for in Phila - rollers, gentle turns, straightaways? what are those?, this is your course Diego. Go for it.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott C Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Gone are the days when you can sign up in the last week (sigh). Kevin is right it has been filling by end of summer, early fall. One of the reasons is that the city added a simultaneous half to the race and the cap is based on a combined number for the full and half. In any event, commit by the end of the summer and you should be fine.

Lots of hotels and options. John P and Kenny might be good sources for best bets.

This is your course. I think it's fast; hills are moderate and the most substantial are over by 10. The last half is a large out and back but it is on a curving Parkway along the river.

If you come, let me know what logistical or other support I can provide.
Scott C
Scott C

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 pm

The Philly marathon is awesome, one of the best around.

1) How quickly does it fill up? They are already well above 5-6k after opening April 1.

Each year, it is earlier and earlier. It's not a bad idea to commit to it early

2) Where are good places for families to stay? We'll probably drive.

The three times I did it we stayed downtown which I recommend. It's walking distance from a lot of history there although you have to book a few things ahead of time due to security.

3) Is Philly a good course to set a PR? I like somewhat rolling courses with lots of turns and few, really long straightaways.

I know we're all different but I think it's an excellent course for a PR mainly due to the great weather they tend to have. I'm much slower than you but in the three times I've run it, three PRs were the result. It was 45, 28 and 40 degrees when I ran it. It is a fairly flat course but there are some small inclines but nothing like the Pig or CIM or Boston. THe last few miles do have an small incline in them that you need to be ready for.

I forgot to add, it has one of the best hosts around - Scott C.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down