365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Get Together

+11
Chris M
fostever
JohnP
KBFitz
Scott C
Mrs. Schuey
Bob
Gobbles
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boston Get Together - Page 2 Empty Re: Boston Get Together

Post  JohnP Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Chris M wrote:
JohnP wrote:Regarding after the race - is the tradition at Chris' room? I also saw the note from GregC about Fenway - is that a brand new thing this year?

I would think BOTH would work well. Come stop my my room post-race and head to Fenway in the evening. I'll post my room number when I have it but I'm staying at the Hyatt which is right there by the finish. We just head straight there post-race. Showers and really getting cleaned up is for a different party.

PS If anyone wants to meet up with myself, Schuey, Matt Wiltse and MVW, we'll all be meeting up at the Hopkinton State Park parking lot area pre-race (not sure of the exact meeting time yet) and then riding into the AV area from there on the shuttle. Happy to try and meet up at AV itself but that place is truly a zoo so it will be tough even if everyone agrees on a location in advance.

Chris, I am staying at a Hyatt though not sure if it the same one you are. Are you taking the Boston buses to AV? Previously my plans were to rent a car, stay outside of town, then drive to the drop off. Now it looks like it' will be a BAA bus out there which no one seems big on.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:30 am

JohnP wrote: Chris, I am staying at a Hyatt though not sure if it the same one you are. Are you taking the Boston buses to AV? Previously my plans were to rent a car, stay outside of town, then drive to the drop off. Now it looks like it' will be a BAA bus out there which no one seems big on.

I for one LIKED taking the BAA bus with Matt and Schuey for my first Boston. To me, it was a great way to soak in the experience. Also, what better way to remind me of how much of an achievement it really is to run 26.2 miles than to ride it in a school bus!

Just watch your fluid intake, it takes about an hour with traffic. But, the BAA did a great job of organbizing it. It took an AMAZING number of school busses! Good thing the schools are all closed that day.

I'm not certain, but I think your original plan wouldn't have worked because I don't think there's any way to get back out to Hopkinton after the race, other than to run it (which some people do).
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 am

KBFitz wrote:It late and it's lame, but the Food Court in the Prudential Center Complex needs no reservations and would allow folks to come and go at their leisure on Saturday evening. Let me suggest 6pm-8pm with the sweet spot for arrival at 6:30pm. Even though it's lame, I offer to be there for the duration and convene the event ... that is if a few of you reply herein saying that you're good for this option.

Unfortunately, Kevin, there hasn't been a *real* Boston dinner since 2009. The Food Court alternative seems to suit people fine, they can come and go as they wish, or just not show up if their plans change.

Will be tough to walk into anyplace this weekend with a decent sized group at a typical eating hour without a reservation. The area doesn't get socked in by any stretch, but the city certainly does swell up.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:58 am

I would prefer a Sun brunch idea. I would like to see y'all but Sat is a bit tougher. Already made dinner plans right smack in the middle of the 6:30 - 8:30 timeframs. Sun is kinda of a laidback day anyway. Sat is a travel day for most of us.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Saturday works for me as we (my daughter, her friend and I) are going to the Bruins playoff game after the Expo, but I don't expect the game to be over until maybe 7pm? After I asked about Brunch, my MIL agreed to have us all over for Brunch on Sunday - so it would depend on the time since I have to get the kids on the T back to the airport.

John - Judy (from Grand Rapids) and I are taking the bus on Monday morning. I usually stay in Natick at my parents, but decided to stay with Judy since she will be by herself. We are staying at the Hilton in Back Bay. I think I still have your phone number, but I'll still PM you mine and vice-versa. I think the bus is fun after spending all but one other year getting dropped off at Hopkinton State park. I missed the excitement all those years.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks Michele. I think I am at the Hyatt Boston which looks about a mile away from you. Original plans were to stay outside the city and rent a car but that changed to stayign in the city and not renting a car. So I'll be on the bus too. I haven't even looked into logistics of the buses to see where they load up and that so I need to do that now. It would be cool to see you in the morning though I am a basket case about this marathon now.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:03 pm

John, take a deep breath. You've been running remarkably well of late and you're ready. You'll do just fine.

It seems some of you are interested in Saturday dinner and some are interested in Sunday brunch. I'm prepared to do both. [Hey, I'm not running - I can drink all weekend!] Here's the skinny.

If you're thinking of coming to either, email me your cell phone number [use the email link below my avatar] and I'll email back my cell number. No need for this if I've got yours and you've got mine. But it would be helpful if we haven't met in person yet.

Saturday: I will be at the Food Court in the Prudential Center from 6pm until 8pm. I look forward to seeing friends old and new on Saturday evening.

Sunday: The Plough & Stars on Mass Ave between Central Sq & Harvard SQ in Cambridge opens for Brunch at 11am. Look at their brunch menu - you can get a solid Irish breakfast or something more familiar. It would be best if we all showed up together so that we can be seated together - it's a smallish place. I suggest arriving at 11:30am. If you would like to join us for Sunday Brunch, but would prefer another start time, please suggest it here. I look forward to seeing friends old and new on Sunday morning-early afternoon.

Cheers!

Last edited by KBFitz on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:27 pm

JohnP wrote:Thanks Michele. I think I am at the Hyatt Boston which looks about a mile away from you. Original plans were to stay outside the city and rent a car but that changed to stayign in the city and not renting a car. So I'll be on the bus too. I haven't even looked into logistics of the buses to see where they load up and that so I need to do that now. It would be cool to see you in the morning though I am a basket case about this marathon now.

Take a big time deep breath. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the day. Enjoy the accomplishment of getting there. There are many first timers every year and somehow they find their way. Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:52 am

We are staying out in Waltham and take the T into town. I will follow this thread and would like to meet up with some of you all. It will depend on what Connie and Hannah would like to do. Sat. around noon we will likely get in and will probably go to the expo in the afternoon. I'm not sure what we will do beyond that. The food court may work the best for us on Sat., we will see. Thanks for making the effort to organize something.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 am

Agree with Jon - thanks for just setting out the options and leaving it at that. I'm not sure we'd come to consensus on our own What a Face

I will PM you my info.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am

We're tentative on both but most likely to make the Sat evening get together since it is near our hotel.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am

jon c wrote:We are staying out in Waltham and take the T into town. I will follow this thread and would like to meet up with some of you all. It will depend on what Connie and Hannah would like to do. Sat. around noon we will likely get in and will probably go to the expo in the afternoon. I'm not sure what we will do beyond that. The food court may work the best for us on Sat., we will see. Thanks for making the effort to organize something.

Thought I hit "Send" but I don't see what I wrote...

Anyway, Jon, I would check the MBTA map and use Trip Planner to make sure you know exactly what's invloved in getting from "A" to "B." When Bostonites talk about taking the "T" they mean the subway (Blue / Red / Orange / Green Line), but the "T" doesn't go to Waltham. So, unless you are driving to Alewife (in Cambridge) or Riverside (in Newton), you're taking either a commuter rail or a bus.

Which are fine. They're reliable, clean and convenient. But, they operate on a set schedule, as opposed to one coming by every 10 minuutes or less, and it's more challenging for a person that's unfamiliar with the MBTA system to make the required connections.

Sorry if you're already very aware of this, I didn't want you to assume that everything is connected by subway.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Martin,

Thanks for your input. This is our fourth trip and we fly into Manchester, rent a car and drive to Waltham. Then we drive to the Riverside station, park there and take the T. We buy a week pass at that point. It has worked out pretty well since most areas of downtown that we have needed to go have been close to T stops.

Since you chimed in, is there a T stop that is close to the expo this year since the location changed? Don't really mind walking a mile or two if necessary. Thanks!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 pm

jon c wrote:Martin,

Thanks for your input. This is our fourth trip and we fly into Manchester, rent a car and drive to Waltham. Then we drive to the Riverside station, park there and take the T. We buy a week pass at that point. It has worked out pretty well since most areas of downtown that we have needed to go have been close to T stops.

Since you chimed in, is there a T stop that is close to the expo this year since the location changed? Don't really mind walking a mile or two if necessary. Thanks!

Riverside works great, that's where I park when I want to take the Green Line.

To take the "T" to the Expo, drive to Alewife (convenient to Waltham and there's a big parking deck there) and take the Red Line to South Station. You'll have a 0.8 mile walk, though.

From Riverside, you have to pick up the Silver Line bus to the World Trade Center stop. But, I think that's an easy switchover from the Green Line at Boylston.

Or drive. It's right off the Mass Pike.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Kind of upset by the Expo change. If I remember correctly, it was there back in 2001 or 2002. Not sure why they moved it again - either need the bigger space or something is going on at the Hynes. The walk from the South Station stop isn"t bad as it is very straight forward, and I think you might be about as close from the Aquarium stop on the Blue or Green lines if memory serves me right.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2