365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Limboland

+11
Liz R
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Dave-O
Michael Enright
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
Mark B
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Limboland - Page 2 Empty Re: Limboland

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:48 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:I can't even imagine 5M of swimming at once. I'd drown. Great job.

I agree with Alex, I can't imagine swimming 5 miles, either. My goodness!
I wonder why the chlorinated pool water is causing you to lose hair in some places, but not your head....?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:56 pm

I have been thinking a lot about my upcoming Dr. Appt. on the 20th. This is really weird, but I am really nervous about it - what if he doesn't clear me? what if he does clear me? How much can I run? How slow will I be? How do I start running again? I found this article http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml which seems sort of sound, but takes a long time to get things going. If it looks like I will need more time I will live, but it will be really tough to hear. How much can I start cycling and how much cycling fitness will I have lost? Bunch of questions for which I really have no control over and shouldn't be stressing about but I am anyway. Maybe it is the tapering vibe rubbing off on me from Boston except I'm not tapering and my race is November 3 and I already feel wayyyyy behind in training and I know I can't ramp it up too much too fast. Ughhhhh..

Besides I'm feeling a little nutty because I didn't get to swim Friday, Sat. or Sunday and feel fat and lazy...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Bottom line: if you don't let it heal - COMPLETELY - before you start again, and you don't start slow and easy, you'll lose all your fitness, because you won't be running. Period. Fitness comes back faster than injuries heal. Don't sweat it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I hope you get cleared to run, but if not yet, don't give up hope. There are some accelerated IM training plans for people with little time, but a good athletic background. I'd think you fall into that category. Gale Bernhardt has one that is about 15 weeks long. You can focus on the swim and the bike, even biking on the trainer if your doctor is afraid of you falling, then ease into the running. You have experience in all three disciplines, especially running, so you could do it. Her running miles are pretty light, too.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

I hope you get the green light, John. It's frustrating not to be able to do what you would like to be doing. You'll probably be up to speed sooner than you think once you get cleared.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Bottom line: if you don't let it heal - COMPLETELY - before you start again, and you don't start slow and easy, you'll lose all your fitness, because you won't be running. Period. Fitness comes back faster than injuries heal. Don't sweat it.
Thanks Mike - good news to share in a new blog when I get to it. But, I have to be CAREFUL as I come back...

Liz R wrote:I hope you get cleared to run, but if not yet, don't give up hope. There are some accelerated IM training plans for people with little time, but a good athletic background. I'd think you fall into that category. Gale Bernhardt has one that is about 15 weeks long. You can focus on the swim and the bike, even biking on the trainer if your doctor is afraid of you falling, then ease into the running. You have experience in all three disciplines, especially running, so you could do it. Her running miles are pretty light, too.
Thanks Liz - I am in the process of trying to figure out how to tinker with my existing IM plan - obviously won't be able to run like I should be doing, but don't want to totally throw in the towel on the running just yet - I have 24 weeks to go, but probably need 12 of them to even get to running like I should be. I think I'll put more time in cycling and see how that goes....

jon c wrote:I hope you get the green light, John. It's frustrating not to be able to do what you would like to be doing. You'll probably be up to speed sooner than you think once you get cleared.
Thanks Jon - I hope so, but the first couple of "runs" were sort of demoralizing. I know it will take time though and hopefully I have many years left to figure it out!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 pm

Easy, smooth, and consistent -- that's what makes a comeback without reinjury. Good luck.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks Mike - good news to share in a new blog when I get to it. But, I have to be CAREFUL as I come back...

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2