365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run?

+3
Mike MacLellan
Admin
Ben Z
7 posters

Go down

Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run? Empty Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run?

Post  Ben Z Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:39 am

All things being equal what is a better midweek workout:

Eight to 10 miles at goal MP, or

Four to six miles at tempo (~HM) pace?

I know some don't believe the marathon pace run is fast enough to solicit the physiologic (is that a word?) gains but if that were true I must be doing something wrong. I am very tired after eight marathon paced miles midweek let alone 10. Thoughts?
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run? Empty Re: Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run?

Post  Admin Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 am

Honestly, I hate to pick one over the other without the overall training context.

With the caveat that I don't do GMP runs, I'd say the tempo run is better, but even that should be in moderation.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run? Empty Re: Better Midweek Workout: Tempo or Goal MP run?

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:52 pm

MP runs typically take a lot out of me - even just 5-8 miles - until I start including tempo runs. Then 10 miles @ MP is cake. When peaking, I save the MP miles for a fast-finish long run and put the tempo miles midweek. In overall training, usually a little of both.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

I do mid week tempo up to 7 miles. Every few weeks I add MP miles to my long runs - like in Pfitz. schedule.
Mp long runs are good psychologically. as my training progresses, the tempo runs seem to get easier so I know they are helping build my faster running endurance.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Based on the way Dave, Chris and I performed in Chicago with an emphasis on longer mid week "tempo" runs that were really closer to MP, I'd have to say the tempo is a more effective workout. I've felt much more fit doing those and recover a bit quicker as well since it's less "hard" mileage.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm

I would go with the tempo run...based on an easier recovery for longer weekend miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Tempo for me no doubt.

Or you can rotate. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down