365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What?

Go down

Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What? Empty Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What?

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Last night I took a spill in my house and my foot slammed against the wall. Doctor confirmed non-displaced fracture on the small right toe. No running for 4 weeks. That pretty much kills my BQ attempt at Bayshore. I'll still have about eight weeks to train so I can still run it. But in the meantime what the heck do I do now to maintain some fitness?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What? Empty Re: Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What?

Post  mul21 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:05 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Last night I took a spill in my house and my foot slammed against the wall. Doctor confirmed non-displaced fracture on the small right toe. No running for 4 weeks. That pretty much kills my BQ attempt at Bayshore. I'll still have about eight weeks to train so I can still run it. But in the meantime what the heck do I do now to maintain some fitness?

I assume you're cleared to exercise based on pain tolerance? If so, elliptical. Also, deep water running will maintain your fitness pretty well and keep the BQ hopes alive. You'll notice some soreness the first week or two back on solid ground probably, but you won't lose any fitness. Use one of these for deep water running:

http://www.aquajogger.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=AQUAJOGGER
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What? Empty Re: Non-Displaced Toe Fracture - Now What?

Post  Admin on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Dude.

Your doctor is insane. I've continued running with a broken on two different occassions. It's a toe. If you can deal with the discomfort and not screw up your form too much, then RUN! It's not like you can make it worse by running. However, if for some reason your little toe is 'load bearing' and causes lots o'pain... well, then don't run. Elliptical would be good, though...

Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:Dude.

Your doctor is insane.

Love it. You should rename to Dr MattM.lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

I have a friend who ran Boston with a broken toe, and it was her big toe! I have broken my "pinkie" toe on a couple of occasions, so I just taped it to the next one and ran anyway if it didn't hurt too much, and I don't remember that it did. Obviously, don't run if the pain is too severe, but wks - I'm with Matt on this one.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:07 pm

I've broken my small toes before and continued to run or walk. You just have to tape it to the toe next to it, basically. I've also broken a finger and then taped it and went straight to choir practice to accompany them so I do push through most physical pain...be smart and don't do something that's going to make it worse but if it's your smallest toe I don't know that running is that bad for you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:35 am

Having never been through anything like this forgive this question. How does it heal if you keep running on it? Just asking as I have no clue.

Right now the front of the foot is still swollen so I can't even walk normal. But I will give it a shot once the swelling is gone. Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:57 am

It probably will never heal back to its baseline. I'm figuring the pain you're feeling is from the swelling taking up room in the tissue. Apply some heat and massage it in strokes to the degree that you can handle the pain to accelerate getting the swelling gone.

You'll find out how dependent your stride is on your pinky toe, when you start running on it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ea1977 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

The same thing occurred to me about 6 weeks ago. I was climbing over a rouge baby gate and snagged by 'pinky' toke and fractured it pretty well. The doc said to take 6 weeks off but I just couldn't being mid into training. I gave it about two weeks and once the swelling subsided I just kept it taped to the next toe and started doing the elipitical and biking and then eased into running. Just be cognizant of any additional pain or swelling and it'll be ok. I have a HM on Sunday and prepared with runs the last two weeks without issue. The taping just allows the toe to realign the bones so they're straight.

ea1977

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 pm

I've run on a broken pinkie toe and a broken second toe (the one next to the big guy). As long as you can put up with the discomfort, you'll be fine. And they will heal - they have no choice. Its not like you can splint a toe, so they just heal on their own.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am

Alex, that's really bummer news. I hope you are able to keep the fitness through alternative means, or that you can handle the running. If it's swollen, it might be best to wait till that goes away. I am assuming ice and that the doc prescribed NSAIDs.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks again everyone. I'm extremely relieved to learn it can be run on.

John, I have been taking NSAIDs and icing 3x a day. Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 am

@Ken Mello wrote:I've run on a broken pinkie toe and a broken second toe (the one next to the big guy). As long as you can put up with the discomfort, you'll be fine. And they will heal - they have no choice. Its not like you can splint a toe, so they just heal on their own.

I have also run on an injured pinkie toe (never went in to the doc but I am pretty sure it was broken after I accidentally hit it on the vacuum cleaner--ouch). It hurt a little at first but I was able to continue training without any set back.

Good luck!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:58 am

Never broken a toe, but if it doesn't really hurt then zip up the man-suit and go for it!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Last night I took a spill in my house and my foot slammed against the wall. Doctor confirmed non-displaced fracture on the small right toe. No running for 4 weeks. That pretty much kills my BQ attempt at Bayshore. I'll still have about eight weeks to train so I can still run it. But in the meantime what the heck do I do now to maintain some fitness?

I've busted little toes before too - man, they do hurt, but both of mine seemed to heal pretty quickly (especially if it is a non-displaced fracture - displaced fractures are that much worse imo). Don't believe that you are a wuss for lack of running - I think the point is that you should be back to sort of normal before too long and it won't necessarily kill you BQ attempt. There is always pool running, cycling, etc. I'm late on the draw here, but is it feeling better now? You've got a lot of running behind you and being down a little time I wouldn't think would necessarily kill your work to date. Good luck Alex!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum