365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  - Page 9 Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

How tragic. There is no figuring these things out, or reconciling them with a Divine plan, I fear. It is beyond our knowledge and understanding.

All anyone can do is move forward as best they can, hoping for the best for those who survive. Say a prayer, light a candle, live life. Hard, for sure.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Prayers to you and to Casey and his family. You are right about the plan and certainly about not getting it sometimes which is so true from the global (Chris Stevens) level right down to your little town in NC. Peace to you, Kathy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

Such a tragedy. That is just so sad...Prayers for your community and that poor young man and the families of him and the woman.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm

It's been a really long time since I've posted to this blog...but I've been lurking, keeping tabs on what everyone is up to.

Since I last posted there have been several happy family changes:
--My son graduated from flight school and is now an Apache pilot with the NC National Guard
--My daughter got engaged, and we are frantically planning her May 25 wedding
--and most importantly...my sister got a clean scan and is recovering from her 5 months of chemo

I've been running 5-6 days a week on my treadmill. Not training for anything, just for fitness. I also keep doing my sit-ups, push-ups, etc. I vary the runs a lot...some with a pre-programmed hilly run, some slow and steady, some sprinkled with brisk walking breaks every mile during which I do arm reps with 5 lb weights. Not long runs...I usually run ~15 - 20 miles a week. And they certainly aren't fast runs. Running 5-6 days a week is a big change for me...I used to think that my knee would revolt if I ran any more than 3 days a week. I guess I was wrong.

I'm in 'Operation get Svelte for Emily's Wedding'. From now until May 25, it's all about tracking my calories so there isn't quite as much of me to tone up.

Since the beginning of the New Year, I've lost 5 pounds. My goal is to lose another 7 pounds. Then I'll be at the same weight I was when I ran my last marathon. Only I'll be several years older. I've been tracking stuff at myfitnesspal.com That's working great so far.

Hope y'all are doing well!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey, nice to see you back! Stick around, okay?

Good work on mixing up your workouts like that. You might find that doing a little less in each workout lets you work out more often - which can yield significant benefits in keeping the calorie burning furnaces going. I get you won't have any problem getting even more svelte by wedding day.

And many, many congrats on the happy news since your last post! It's great to see. cheers cheers cheers
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm

That's all great news, especially about your sister.

Welcome back!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am

Hey Kathy - good to see you back and yeah for all the good things happening especially with your sister's recovery.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Mark B wrote:Hey, nice to see you back! Stick around, okay?

Good work on mixing up your workouts like that. You might find that doing a little less in each workout lets you work out more often - which can yield significant benefits in keeping the calorie burning furnaces going. I get you won't have any problem getting even more svelte by wedding day.

And many, many congrats on the happy news since your last post! It's great to see. cheers cheers cheers

Thanks Mark. I'm hoping that I can keep those calorie burning furnaces going...along with taming my sweet tooth. THAT will be the key to being svelte by May 25.

Michael Enright wrote:That's all great news, especially about your sister.

Welcome back!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Hey Kathy - good to see you back and yeah for all the good things happening especially with your sister's recovery.
Thanks Michael and Michele...I was able to see my sister in mid-December, and she looked great!

This morning's workout was 50 minutes of running-calisthenics intervals. I'd run hard for half a mile, then hop off the mill and do some sort of non-treadmill stuff for a few minutes. Then hop back on for another half mile of hard running, then hop off for more calisthenics. The calisthenics included things like sit ups, push ups, squats, the hip/butt stuff I've done for years, various sets with my hand weights. The idea was to get my whole body involved this morning. I was a sweaty mess when I was done, so it must have worked.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:05 am

It snowed in NC last night...very pretty, wet snow. Enough to make me decide to leave a bit later than usual for work due to road conditions. So I used the extra time for a bit longer workout than the 50 minutes I usually do before work.

I spent a little over an hour on the 'mill. I'd run a mile then drop down to a brisk walk with 5 pound hand weights doing various moves for my biceps triceps, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat for an hour.

A pound lost this week. Hoping for more next week!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 am

Great to see you back here! I have yet to start my new blog!

Good job on the weight loss! I need to jump start myself. I gained just a couple over the holidays, but they are sticking around! I would like to lose those and 5 more before my next marathon in May. What is your secret? Tracking?
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Snow in North Carolina? Very cool! How rare is that?

Good work lopping off that pound. Keep it up!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Peg Coover wrote:Great to see you back here! I have yet to start my new blog!

Good job on the weight loss! I need to jump start myself. I gained just a couple over the holidays, but they are sticking around! I would like to lose those and 5 more before my next marathon in May. What is your secret? Tracking?

Hi Peg! Yeah, I track through myfitnesspal.com It's easier to track during the week when I'm in front of a computer screen all day. I usually just enter all of the food I bring with me to work as soon as I get in to work, and I add what I've planned for dinner. That way, I'm less likely to eat anything other that what I've already entered. I also just 'eat what I bring' to work, and not make any trips to the vending machine.

Mark B wrote:Snow in North Carolina? Very cool! How rare is that?

Good work lopping off that pound. Keep it up!

We usually get a snow every year, Mark. It usually doesn't stick around very long, though. That was the case this time, it was gone by the same afternoon.

I did a 40 minute interval workout on the treadmill on Saturday morning while Jack was on the elliptical. Sunday was a rest day.
On Monday, I did my first day of Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred followed by an easy 50 minute run on the mill, increasing the incline every half mile or so.
This morning, I did my second day of JM Shred followed by a 30 minute run on the mill. I have to say that I'm surprised at how my quads hurt from the Shred. I guess it's the lunges...I haven't done those in a while, but I do squats several times a week. My goodness, I look like an old lady trying to stand up and sit down. Shocked

KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I can't believe how sore my quads are!!! Just from a few lunges. Goodness. You'd think that with all of the squats I've done over the past few years, I wouldn't have hurt like that. Seriously, my quads were as sore as the day after a marathon.

So...I decided to do my short run this morning prior to day 3 of the 30 day Shred. I ran for 30 minutes to try to get everything working, and was able to gradually pick up the pace and the incline on the mill. I finished 30 minutes then started the Shred workout. Made it through just fine...even the lunges. I am, however, walking around like an old lady again. Maybe the pain will ease tomorrow. I'll do the same thing, run first, then do the Shred workout.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Yipes! Your poor quads!

Well, I guess that's what you get when you do a workout with "shred" in its title. What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Mark B wrote:Yipes! Your poor quads!

Well, I guess that's what you get when you do a workout with "shred" in its title. What a Face
Yeah...Shred doesn't sound good. But 'Ripped' is next!

I'm less sore today. I can stand up and sit down without having to lean on anything.

I did the same workout this morning...30 minutes on the 'mill, then 20 minutes of Shred.

Tomorrow will be day 5 of level one of 30 day shred. I don't expect to be sore tomorrow.
keep pushin'...
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm

More of the same.
30 minutes on the mill...increasing the incline every 5 minutes or so. Then hop off the mill and start day 5 of the shred. Still a bit sore. My goodness. This Shred thing must be talking to muscles that haven't been engaged in years. But I got through the workout feeling strong. I'll do a few more days at this level then move up the level 2.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Good to see you back around here! Sounds like things have taken a turn for the good too. And as much as he might grumble about the "gentle reminders" to get in a workout, speaking from the male point of view, he probably really appreciates it.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:44 pm

mul21 wrote:Good to see you back around here! Sounds like things have taken a turn for the good too. And as much as he might grumble about the "gentle reminders" to get in a workout, speaking from the male point of view, he probably really appreciates it.

Thanks Mul...I *hope* Jack knows I only remind him to exercise out of love, and I *hope* he appreciates it. But sometimes he just looks annoyed at me Neutral
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm still doing the 30 Day Shred workout in combination with my treadmill runs.

I've moved up to level 2 of the Shred and was able to pretty much power through that workout this morning. (Although I REALLY didn't want to work out this morning) Then I got on the treadmill and did a 30 minute HIIT workout. 'Twas fun!

Operation 'Get Svelte by Emily's Wedding' is well underway. I'm not seeing much progress on the scale anymore. 5 pounds gone and now I'm stalled. However, my clothes are getting baggy. And the clothes that had been too tight are fitting nicely now. So, not losing pounds, but certainly losing inches. I'll take it! Very Happy
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:30 am

Finally a little movement on the scale. But the cool thing is that I lost 2 inches from my waist and 1 inch from my hips in the past 3 weeks. Yes, I'll take it!

I did level 2 of the 30 day shred again followed by an easy 30 minute treadmill run. 'Mill set at 2% incline.

Jack admitted to me last night, that he's been daydreaming at work about running outside again. Perhaps my nagging (encouragement) is paying off? Won't be long before it's light enough outside when I get home from work so we can run when after work. On those days, I'll just do a double workout...one in the morning, one with Jack when I get home.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 am

Woot on the nagging success.. but double woot on the scale and hips/waist losses! Great job.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Doing great Kathy. Keep at it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Kathy, I was so happy to read about your son, daughter, and your sister. All great news!
Operation svelt...love it! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see wedding photos this Spring.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Mark B wrote:Woot on the nagging success.. but double woot on the scale and hips/waist losses! Great job.

Now, I just have to 'encourage' him to get from daydreaming about doing a run to actually doing the run....
Alex Kubacki wrote:Doing great Kathy. Keep at it.
Thanks Alex!

Seth Harrison wrote:Kathy, I was so happy to read about your son, daughter, and your sister. All great news!
Operation svelt...love it! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see wedding photos this Spring.
Thanks Seth. Emily will make a beautiful bride...and she'll be getting married on a mountain top in Montana...so the wedding pics should be stunning!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

More of the same this week. 30 Day Shred followed by 30 minutes on the 'mill.
Yesterday, I finished up level 2 of the Shred, then did a slow, but hilly 30 minutes on the treadmill. I moved up to level 3 then did a HIIT workout on the treadmill. Level 3 was hard, but I survived. And the interval workout was fun....even on the 'mill!

My once-tight work slacks have a very relaxed fit today. Yay!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum