365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Pushin'

+18
Schuey
Joel H
mul21
T Miller
John Kilpatrick
Alex Kubacki
Ken Mello
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
fostever
Dave Wolfe
Mark B
KathyK
22 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Keep Pushin'  Empty Keep Pushin'

Post  KathyK Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm

When I was in my early 20s I LOVED REO Speedwagon, and my favorite song was 'Keep Pushin'.
When I was trying to think of a blog title, trying to think about how I'm feeling right now in regards to my running, and, well, life in general right now, it occurred to me that what I need to do is keep pushin' on. So, here I am.

For those that don't know me, I'm old and slow. And like it or not, I'm getting older and slower. So this blog won't be an exciting read, there will no PR attempts, may not be any race stories to tell at all. But there will be running. I found that I really miss writing about my runs. So, it's time to fire up another blog...I haven't done one here on 365 yet, my last one was a while ago at Hal's.

Running got to be almost as much of a mental challenge over the winter as a physical challenge-my mental energy has been sort of zapped. A cumulative thing:

• We live in a rural area..no sidewalks or streetlights. Running after (or before) work means running in the dark..hubby worried every time I ran
  • I'm getting older and slower every day
  • Because I'm getting slower, I haven't wanted to register for any races
  • We have 'other things' going on in our lives
The 'other things'. Sigh. Two of my loved ones have been diagnosed with cancer since the beginning of 2012. My sister and my darlin', beloved Hubby. (that's not facebook news, but I want to say it here and know that none of you will talk about it on fb) My sister's cancer is stage 3, she's undergoing chemo and radiation to try to shrink the tumor, then they'll do surgery to try to remove it and the impacted lymph nodes. When she has surgery, I'll go down to Atlanta to be there for her and her family. My Hubby's cancer was caught very early. We are still thinking through treatment options. As you might imagine, the cancer news weighs on my heart and mind constantly. Because I don't know of timing of treatments, etc., planning for races in not possible. And that's ok. We all just need to keep pushin.

But how do I keep pushin'? Well, we bought a treadmill. So I've been doing my runs inside, so I (and my Hubby) don't have to worry about the dangers of me running in the dark in the country. Gosh knows I don't want to stress him any more right now. Since I bought the 'mill, I've done all of my runs on it. Soon it will be light enough out when I get home from work that I can run outside after work. But for now, the treadmill has allowed me to keep pushin.

I'm getting older and slower. I just have to accept that. I'll continue to try to work on getting my paces faster. (we can't call it speed, not as slow as I go). But my body is just not as young as it used to be. I'll be 53 in a few months. I continue to do all of my situps, push ups, arm work, leg work, that I've been doing for the past couple of years. And I continue to elliptical on my non-running days. So I haven't thrown in the towel, but I'm certainly more creaky. It is what it is. I'll keep pushin'.

So...this week I logged 3 runs thus far.

• 3 miles on Monday before work (time constrained)
  • 4.3 miles on Tuesday evening (3x800 with a mile warm up and cool down jog, plus 5 minute cool down walk)
  • 5 miles on Thursday evening (comfortably hard with a faster finish)
I did 30 minutes on the elliptical on Wednesday morning, and my strength/toning routine on Tuesday and Friday mornings.

I'll likely do my 'long' run on the mill tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be REALLY windy here.
That's it for now....I'll sign off with some lyrics from my 'theme' song for this point in my life...it's pretty simple, really.

Keep pushin, keep pushin, keep pushin, keep pushin on

Keep pushin, keep pushin, you know you have got to be so strong

Keep pushin, keep pushin, wel even if you think your strength is gone

Keep pushin on
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Keep Pushin'  Empty Re: Keep Pushin'

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:54 pm

At last, another Kathy blog!

Best wishes for you and your loved ones as you navigate this journey together. It's going to take a lot of you to help them both through it.

So to that point, an observation: You're not old and getting slower because of it. What you are is burdened by the pressures life has thrown at you, and your body is struggling to handle it. Don't push it too hard at this point, and your body will reward you.

The treadmill was an excellent idea, BTW. Your hubby doesn't need to worry, and you don't need to worry about him worrying.

Keep at it. We'll be rooting for all of you.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 am

Blog and run on. It will do you good.

[quote="Mark B"
So to that point, an observation: You're not old and getting slower because of it. What you are is burdened by the pressures life has thrown at you, and your body is struggling to handle it. Don't push it too hard at this point, and your body will reward you.[/quote]

A lot of truth in what Mark says. Last year about this time we were dealing with some issues that were so stressful I stopped running. So I do believe stress is cumulative and staying active will help. But yes we are getting older and slower which I personally find frustrating but no reason to stop. I think slow is a state of mind.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Every time you enter a new AG you can set a new PR so don't abandon that altogether. Way to push on through the struggles, I wish you well through the journey.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Here's to hoping running can serve as a stress reliver for you, Kathy.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Glad to hear from you Kathy and I wish all was hunky-dory, but alas, it never is, and I have put you and your family in my prayers. I, too, love REO Speedwagon and the blog title brought me back to college.

If and when you come to Atlanta, please feel free to ping me if you just need an outside friend to get away from it all for a bit. I'll be here until early June and I offer another smiling face to keep you pushin'.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Kathy, I've been absent from these boards for a little while, so I was
very happy to see that you have a new blog (a good reason for me to
check in more often). I am, of course, saddened to read about the
hardship going on in yours and your loved one's lives right now. You'll
all be in my prayers.
As for getting older and getting slower (or at
least not getting much faster!), I relate very strongly, especially lately, as my very bad knee has made it harder and harder to keep running.
Your words (and what we already know about you) betray a strong spirit that will not only allow you to stay strong as you continue to run into middle age :-), but also as you navigate these rough times.
My best to your husband and sister.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:29 am

Great to "see" you again Kathy! I am glad you will be posting about running--and life. You know we all support you 100% and our prayers go out to you, your husband, and your sister.

Keep pushin! I love REO too, my favorite being "Time for me to Fly!"
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:13 pm

I turned 55 a few months ago, and I know exactly what you are talking about with the old/slow thing. I like to say that I'm trying to get slower less quickly!
I hope all of your stressful circumstances ease up somehow. I have a similar situation with outside running here - no way to do it in the dark, really, without sidewalks or streetlights. I do manage to get out to the local high school track some nights - it's dark, but no traffic!
Keep on keepin' on, it'll do you a world of good, and you need all the good you can get right now.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

Mark B wrote:At last, another Kathy blog!

Keep at it. We'll be rooting for all of you.

Thanks so much, Mark! Yes, I expect that my body is reacting to everything going on. But I'll keep moving!

Dave Wolfe wrote:Blog and run on. It will do you good.

Last year about this time we were dealing with some issues that were so stressful I stopped running. So I do believe stress is cumulative and staying active will help. But yes we are getting older and slower which I personally find frustrating but no reason to stop. I think slow is a state of mind.

Yes, slow is a state of mind...I guess no matter how slow, I'm still faster than folks who don't move at all, huh? And I agree that staying active during this stressful time will be good. Thanks for the support!

fostever wrote:Every time you enter a new AG you can set a new PR so don't abandon that altogether. Way to push on through the struggles, I wish you well through the journey.
Yep, still races to run in my future. I'm not anywhere close to throwing in the towel yet!

Dave-O wrote:Here's to hoping running can serve as a stress reliver for you, Kathy.
Thanks Dave...so far, running has certainly helped me blow off steam.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

If and when you come to Atlanta, please feel free to ping me if you just need an outside friend to get away from it all for a bit. I'll be here until early June and I offer another smiling face to keep you pushin'.
Thanks so much Michele...I'll definitely send a note when I come to Atlanta...assuming you're still there. The timing of her surgery is still kind of foggy.

Seth Harrison wrote: . You'll
all be in my prayers.
As for getting older and getting slower (or at
least not getting much faster!), I relate very strongly, especially lately, as my very bad knee has made it harder and harder to keep running.
Seth, thanks for keeping us in your prayers! Sorry to hear that your knee is still giving you a rough time.

Peg Coover wrote:Great to "see" you again Kathy! I am glad you will be posting about running--and life. You know we all support you 100% and our prayers go out to you, your husband, and your sister.

Keep pushin! I love REO too, my favorite being "Time for me to Fly!"

Thank you Peg! Seems many of us who are in our late 40's-early 50's all remember REO Speedwagon fondly! Thanks for your support!

Michael Enright wrote:I turned 55 a few months ago, and I know exactly what you are talking about with the old/slow thing. I like to say that I'm trying to get slower less quickly!
So well said, Michael! Get slower less quickly...love it! Thanks for the support!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Wow...thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support! Your responses to this blog feels like being wrapped in a warm hug by my friends! (never mind that I've never actually met any of my friends face to face....) You are all wonderful!

On to running and life in general.
Winds were wild Saturday morning, so I stayed indoors on the treadmill for my long run. Long is not really very long right now, but it'll get longer over time. I kept the pace VERY slow and ran for about 1:15. The problem was that at 1:10, my knee gave out and I had to walk the last 5 minutes. Rats. It hurt like a son of a gun for the rest of the weekend. It's been a problem off and on since last April.

Sunday was a rest day. So I made a big fleece blanket for my sister. She feels ok now (3 weeks into chemo and radiation), but I expect a time will come when she feels like absolute crap. So, since I can't be there in person to give her a hug right now, I'll send her this warm blanket so she can wrap herself up and rest. I made a strategic mistake, though. I watched the movie 'Beaches' as I assembled the blanket. The movie was just ending as I finished the blanket, and I sat on the floor, wrapped in the blanket, sobbing. (If you've never seen it, it's a chick flick that is a true tear jerker) Jack was silent behind me, letting me have my meltdown in peace. When I got up, he wrapped me in a bear hug and let me wipe my tears on his shoulder. I suspect that the movie just opened the floodgates for emotions building up inside me right now.

This morning before work, I hopped on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I wanted to give my knee another day of no running since it's still feeling kind of ouchey. I'll plan on running Tuesday after work.

Once again, thank you all so much for your support and for lending me your collective shoulder to lean on. I appreciate that more than you know! Very Happy
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am

Just did my strength and toning routine this morning. I'll do a Hal-style tempo run this evening after work.
My knee feels better today...not perfect, but not awful, either. Hopefully it'll hold up for my run. It'll be another mill run.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Nice job, but be careful about that knee! Sounds like a little quad work might be in order.

The blanket is a very thoughtful gift. Ya did good. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Kathy - As always, I'm blown away by how the "adults" around here can train through so much going on in their lives. Old and slow? It doesn't matter; you're running.

It sounds like you have a great support system, both on this forum and in "real life." And maybe crying on the blanket wasn't such a strategic mistake after all, as it's now loaded with extra love. Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Kathy - As always, I'm blown away by how the "adults" around here can train through so much going on in their lives. Old and slow? It doesn't matter; you're running.

It sounds like you have a great support system, both on this forum and in "real life." And maybe crying on the blanket wasn't such a strategic mistake after all, as it's now loaded with extra love. Smile

Boy, Mike, that was awfully well stated.

Kathy, I can't add much to what everybody else has stated. But I can say that once things settle down, you might be able to squeeze out another PR or just pick a time that you think is an almost-out-there time to beat.

Hang in there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 pm

ounce wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Kathy - As always, I'm blown away by how the "adults" around here can train through so much going on in their lives. Old and slow? It doesn't matter; you're running.

Kathy, I can't add much to what everybody else has stated. But I can say that once things settle down, you might be able to squeeze out another PR or just pick a time that you think is an almost-out-there time to beat.

Hang in there.

What they said!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am

Mark B wrote:Nice job, but be careful about that knee! Sounds like a little quad work might be in order.

The blanket is a very thoughtful gift. Ya did good. Smile
Thanks, I think she'll enjoy the blanket. I picked a fabric with 'attitude'.
Quad work...yeah, I suspect you're right. any suggestions?

Mike, yeah, good though about the blanket...it's been properly tested and seasoned.
I wish I would have had the drive when I was a bit younger that I do now. Perhaps I had the drive, but it was spent on other things...having babies, being a single mom, maintaining my career, etc. But now that I have the drive and the time to train more, my body revolts. ugh. But you're right, I'm moving, and in the long run, that'll keep me younger.

ounce wrote:

Hang in there.
Ounce...I'd be lying if I didn't still want to beat my half marathon PR. When I set that a little over a year ago, I had the goal of going under 2 hours. But I missed that by one minute and 56 seconds. As I run now, that's in the back of my mind. When life (and my angry knee) settle down a bit, I'll re-evaluate.

Peg Coover wrote:

What they said!!

Thanks Peg...I'm always impress by your training and racing!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 am

Last night I planned to do a 50 minute Hal-style tempo run. I decided to wear my Free Runs rather than my Brooks Pure Flow shoes to see how they would feel...I haven't run in them for a while. (Now I remember that the reason that I gave them up was that my knee started bothering me and I wanted to see if a shoe change would help.)

I *thought* my knee would be fine. I was wrong. It hurt like a son-of-a-gun when I went any faster than a 13 minute pace. crap. crap. crap. So I plodded along (on the treadmill) watching a chick flick. I tried running with a knee brace, then without, then changed to a different knee brace. I kept that up for 30 minutes or so. Then my knee started feeling better (with brace #2) and I was able to pick the pace up a little bit. I finished the last half mile at 9:30. Still slower than I wanted to be going, but faster than 13. I managed to run 4.2 miles in 50 minutes. Good gosh. We'll call it a progression run, ok?Rolling Eyes

This morning before work, I did a 30 minute cardio session on the elliptical.

No workouts planned for this evening. Tonight we'll just chill. Tomorrow, we have a day full of appointments with various doctors as we determine the treatment plan for Jack's cancer. Keep pushin'.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 am

I'm thinking of you today. Planning a course of treatment sounds like a very stressful day.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks Peg. I appreciate your support!

Our day went well yesterday. I realize that we are lucky to live in an area like we do...we have two major research medical centers within 15 minutes of each other. Duke and UNC Hospital. And UNC Hospital is literally across the street from my office. So we met with a UNC doc...really liked him and will likely follow the treatment he proposed. We both felt pretty good about things when we left.

Workout wise, though, not much to report.
I did my strength and toning workout yesterday morning, but decided to give my ouchey knee the night off. (I was supposed to run) I didn't even elliptical. Jack and I just putzed around outside yesterday evening when we got home from our day of doctor visits...it was such a pretty day!

This morning I woke up still exhausted. Totally. Listened to my body and didn't do any workout at all this morning. Sometimes rest is best, I guess. My knee still hurts a lot when going up/down stairs, but not when I walk. I'm not sure what tomorrow's workout will be...either elliptical or a treadmill run depending on how my knee feels.

I hate feeling old and like my parts are breaking.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Well, of COURSE you're exhausted! I can't imagine much that's more stressful than what you're going through right now.

I'm glad the treatment plan got worked out and that you're feeling good about it.

I don't recall. Have you had your knee looked at? I can't remember if you injured yourself, or is it just being cranky.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:42 pm

You're not getting old. Like my dad always says (he was in the car business), "It's the model, not the miles."

At least you know to listen to your body. And don't be bashful about pestering the UNC people with questions. You're your best advocate!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Just sending a virtual hug.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Mark B wrote:Well, of COURSE you're exhausted! I can't imagine much that's more stressful than what you're going through right now.

I'm glad the treatment plan got worked out and that you're feeling good about it.

I don't recall. Have you had your knee looked at? I can't remember if you injured yourself, or is it just being cranky.
Thanks Mark. Jack and I are lucky, really...his cancer was caught very early. things could have been a lot worse. My sister was not as lucky. But still there's hope.

My knee started getting crabby about a year ago. Just a niggle from time to time. Very gradually over the summer and fall, it started to get worse. I took a couple of weeks off running and it felt better when I started running again. Then, gradually, it started to feel angry again. But this week has been the worst it's felt. I've never had to hobble up and down stairs before this week I supposeit may be time to visit a PT. I was hoping that it would magically feel better.

ounce wrote:You're not getting old. Like my dad always says (he was in the car business), "It's the model, not the miles."

At least you know to listen to your body. And don't be bashful about pestering the UNC people with questions. You're your best advocate!
Yes, at least with age, I've gained the wisdom to ease off a bit when my body says to.
And about asking questions...no doubt about that. I'm never bashful about that, especially when it comes to the health and well being of my hubby. I'm kind of fierce that way.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Just sending a virtual hug.
Thanks Michele!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Sounds like Thursday went well. Running is going well so that's a good stree reliever.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum