365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt?

+5
Dave-O
Dave Bussard
Nick Morris
ounce
Ben Z
9 posters

Go down

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt? Empty Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt?

Post  Ben Z Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:57 pm

What do you do in high temperatures and heavy sunshine? Do you go sans shirt? Singlet? Short-sleeve tee? Long-sleeve tee?

I tend to run shirtless but I am always intrigued by the ultramarathon runners and triathletes who wear the all-white clothing. I have tried to wear an all-white compression top, long-sleeved, in 100 degree weather with sunshine and thought it made me a lot warmer. Not cooler.

But from what I have read some people feel that after a few minutes, when you start sweating, the shirt helps to cool you better by spreading out the sweat rather than allowing it to drip off your body. The big Dane (see below) was a big believer in this and even wore white gloves and stuck ice cubes in them when racing in Kona.

Thoughts?

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt? Pd1828595
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt? Empty Re: Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt?

Post  ounce Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 am

I'll wait until it's dark to run.

And I don't want to cause nausea to other runners, sans shirt.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt? Empty Re: Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt?

Post  Nick Morris Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 am

I normally go with a white singlet and have never gone shirtless.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:06 am

I usually run without a shirt from June until September... Usually spray sunscreen on my back, arms and bald head. Always wear sunglasses.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 am

Shirtless. It feels much cooler.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:39 am

Dave Bussard wrote:I usually run without a shirt from June until September... Usually spray sunscreen on my back, arms and bald head. Always wear sunglasses.

This, except I wear a hat to keep the sweat out of my eyes. And I still have a little bit of hair!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I can tell you that I helped someone train for their first Badwater in Death Valley one Memorial Day weekend. I wore a long sleeve white shirt made out of special material for the sun and heat, long pants, and my French foreign legion hat. I only ran 12 miles in the morning when it was 102F, but I was not stressed at all. As for the no shirt, I would get arrested.

Running in Hot Temperatures and Abundant Sunshine - Shirt or No Shirt? Img_0312

Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:49 am

Ben Z wrote:, when you start sweating, the shirt helps to cool you better by spreading out the sweat rather than allowing it to drip off your body.

Not really spread it around, but help it evaporate better (semantics, I guess?). The way I understand the science behind sweat, cooling and wicking fabrics is that it is actually the evaporation of your sweat that helps you cool (think of running in humidity - your sweat does not evaporate). A good, wicking shirt actually helps your sweat evaporate better than running shirtless, so your body is able to more effectively cool itself. So I've been told.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am

Jack_Scaff wrote:
Ben Z wrote:, when you start sweating, the shirt helps to cool you better by spreading out the sweat rather than allowing it to drip off your body.

Not really spread it around, but help it evaporate better (semantics, I guess?). The way I understand the science behind sweat, cooling and wicking fabrics is that it is actually the evaporation of your sweat that helps you cool (think of running in humidity - your sweat does not evaporate). A good, wicking shirt actually helps your sweat evaporate better than running shirtless, so your body is able to more effectively cool itself. So I've been told.

That makes sense. I am convinced in Badwater-type conditions an outfit like Michele's is in fact cooler than running shirtless.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 am

ounce wrote:I'll wait until it's dark to run.

And I don't want to cause nausea to other runners, sans shirt.

Based on your avatar, I'm not sure you really even needed to post in this thread! affraid
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Shirtless. I usually try to find somewhere to dunk my head if it's really hot and the run is over an hour or two.

Makes me keep my eating habits in check during the summer, too. Very Happy
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down