365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Because Chris M Requested it

+3
Jerry
fostever
Schuey
7 posters

Go down

Because Chris M Requested it Empty Because Chris M Requested it

Post  Schuey Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Two questions that Chris M needs answer:

1.He can't remember the best way to carry his arm swing when running? Chris seems to run with a little high arm swing and his having trouble learning this concept from his coach. Is there any chance the the 365ers can help on this matter??

2. Chris needs to know is it safe to run barefoot since his wife and daughter have stole all his running shoes to the lack of not carrying out his man chores around the house?

To answer the 2nd question Chris just be like me and have a whole under the bed and closet filled with shoes that way it would be impossible for them to hijack them all! Smile affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Because Chris M Requested it Empty Re: Because Chris M Requested it

Post  fostever Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 pm

Once you find the shoes, tie the extra ones to your arms during training runs to keep your arm swing low and build strong arms! This will also keep the family from hiding them while you are out running. When not running keep all running gear in trunk of car assuming you are a two car family.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:08 pm

1st question: I remember the discussion and since have significant improved my arm swing.

lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Schuey wrote:Two questions that Chris M needs answer:

1.He can't remember the best way to carry his arm swing when running? Chris seems to run with a little high arm swing and his having trouble learning this concept from his coach. Is there any chance the the 365ers can help on this matter??

2. Chris needs to know is it safe to run barefoot since his wife and daughter have stole all his running shoes to the lack of not carrying out his man chores around the house?

To answer the 2nd question Chris just be like me and have a whole under the bed and closet filled with shoes that way it would be impossible for them to hijack them all! Smile affraid

1. Bungee cords attached to the liner of his shorts. Those arms won't go up high after a few steps.

2. Buy Legos for all his kids. Then everyone will be required to wear shoes all the time in his house to prevent injury. He could safely say his running shoes offer the best protection, which offers the best loophole available.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:52 pm

On a semi-serious note, I have noticed that our beloved Dave-O has a very pronounced (at times) arm swing... moreso from left to right (if you are watching him run toward you). I've noticed it in pictures, then saw it in realtime during the x-country championship footage.

Dave, don't swing your arms, dammit!

Chris, high arms also means tight shoulders and neck. Relax the shoulders and neck and the arms will feel better in a lower position naturally.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:44 am

Here was the article that got linked to back 3 years ago on the other boards. It talks about Ryan Hall's low arm carriage starting at page 29. I still shoot for that and I've definitely improved dramatically from when I first brought it up but at the end of races or when I get overly tired like in my avatar picture (Philly Half in September) , my arms tend to start moving across my body too much and too high

http://marathonandbeyond.com/choices/morales.pdf

As for Schuey's comment about the shoes, for those of you who don't know...our garage doors went on the fritz and need repair or replacing. It was on my "honey do" list for a few weeks with me doing nothing about it and then Jennifer and Cassidy started kidnapping a pair of my running shoes every day until it was fixed. That got my attention and after 7 pair have now been taken away from me and hidden somewhere, we've reached a truce because someone is coming to install new doors. I don't actually get the shoes back until that happens but at least no more pairs are getting taken away. Taking both pair of Brooks Launch I have hurt as that's my favorite daily training shoe.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 am

One trick I learned to assist with tensing up your shoulders is to practice running while holding potato chips between your thumb and finger. Point your thumb in the air upwards and don't break the chip (it can melt from sweat though Wink ). It might sound funny, but it does get you to relax your arms, shoulders, etc which can really help in the long run (pun intended).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down