365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hill Training on Treadmill Question

+3
mul21
Mike MacLellan
sobele
7 posters

Go down

Hill Training on Treadmill Question Empty Hill Training on Treadmill Question

Post  sobele Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am

I was hoping to get some advice on the following:

I do my hill training on a treadmill because it's hard to find ideal hills on my local roads and I train at 5AM so even if there were hills I wouldn't be doing them in dark. So my question is what incline percentage should I be doing and at what speed? Should I be changing the incline and speed for each one to vary it?

I run a 19:50 5k (I was told that goes into the equation).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As always thank you in advance for your help.

Evan
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Hill Training on Treadmill Question Empty Re: Hill Training on Treadmill Question

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 am

That's really all dependent on your goal. The incline should match the incline of the hills you're likely to encounter in a race, if your goal is race readiness. If you're just looking for strength, muscular endurance intervals of 6min "on" at 4-6% followed by a 2-3min "recovery" will do just that. Start with 2-3 and build to many more. If you want something similar to strides, 8sec @ 8% @ 8mph, times 8. Or change all those 8s to 10s. Full recovery between each one.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Hill Training on Treadmill Question Empty Re: Hill Training on Treadmill Question

Post  mul21 Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 pm

It really does depend on what you're training for. I know several people who have done 800m repeats at MP at 5%. That's a good workout. You can also do shorter repeats at a faster pace or something like Mike suggested of 5-6 minutes with a recovery just to gain some overall hill climbing strength.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 pm

You can use this as a guide:

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

4-6% is what most say should be used. Anything steeper and you start to severely compromise running form they say.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I just did some mile repeats yesterday with .25 recovery and just did a Precor program called rolling hills. It tops out at 6%, but stays mostly in the 1-4 range. I was doing 10k pace and had to dial it back for a couple brief periods. 6% is a bit steep. Since I'm running Boston in a couple months I put it at negative for a while also.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Not much to add; I agree 3-6% is the sweet spot for hill repeats.

I think a great workout is 8 x half-mile hill repeats at: 3, 4, 5, 5, 3, 4, 5 and 5%. The effort should be similar to a Yasso 800 workout, so the pace will vary depending on your strength as a hill runner. Most of the time the pace falls around MP, which using Ben's chart to translate, is a strong workout.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Dave-O wrote:Not much to add; I agree 3-6% is the sweet spot for hill repeats.

I think a great workout is 8 x half-mile hill repeats at: 3, 4, 5, 5, 3, 4, 5 and 5%. The effort should be similar to a Yasso 800 workout, so the pace will vary depending on your strength as a hill runner. Most of the time the pace falls around MP, which using Ben's chart to translate, is a strong workout.

uhhhh, yeah! sounds like death on a treadmill Shocked
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 am

wrichman wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Not much to add; I agree 3-6% is the sweet spot for hill repeats.

uhhhh, yeah! sounds like death on a treadmill Shocked

Says the 30-mile-on-a-treadmill-er.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks for all the advice/input.

I actually did a combination from the suggestions above. I'm preparing for the NYC Half in March and Jersey Marathon in May. While I would love to do 8X800's at 5k pace, I'm just clearly not there yet. So I shortened the amount and cut the distance in half which seemed to do the trick.

I Ran 6x400 Hill Repeats ranging from 3%-5% at 5k Pace this morning.

It was a great workout!

Thanks again!

sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down