365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Long and Injury Riddled Road

+14
Jeff F
Kenny B.
JohnP
ounce
Mike MacLellan
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KathyK
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
Nick Morris
mul21
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Long and Injury Riddled Road - Page 3 Empty Re: The Long and Injury Riddled Road

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:30 am

Nice run, Jim - bet that felt good.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Long and Injury Riddled Road - Page 3 Empty Re: The Long and Injury Riddled Road

Post  Jeff F Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 am

Well done, for someone that was not very confident going into the race. Sounds like you had a great race, looking forward to hearing the details.

What did you think about the wind? Looks like it got the best of Kenny.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 am

Jeff F wrote:Well done, for someone that was not very confident going into the race. Sounds like you had a great race, looking forward to hearing the details.

It may have cost me going under 1:34, but I didn't really think it was all that bad. I tried to play it smart and tuck in behind people as much as possible when going into it. The couple of times I got caught going into the wind and up an incline with no protection I could definitely tell I was working harder. It would have been a bigger issue going the full distance without a doubt.

How'd your day go?
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 am

mul21 wrote:
Jeff F wrote:Well done, for someone that was not very confident going into the race. Sounds like you had a great race, looking forward to hearing the details.

It may have cost me going under 1:34, but I didn't really think it was all that bad. I tried to play it smart and tuck in behind people as much as possible when going into it. The couple of times I got caught going into the wind and up an incline with no protection I could definitely tell I was working harder. It would have been a bigger issue going the full distance without a doubt.

How'd your day go?

Good to hear. I agree, I think it was an issue for the people doing the full.

I had a good day, better than expected. I just posted my report.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Oh man, I had forgotten what post race soreness was like! Quads and hips are trashed.

However, after exceeding my best hopes for yesterday's race, I have a bit more motivation for training going forward I think. One of the reasons I had some doubts going into yesterday was the fact that I had plugged a 5K time I ran on March 11th into McMillan and it spit out a half marathon time of 1:37 on the nose. I'm not sure I'm in any better 5K shape than that right now, but that's obviously not even close to right for a half!

I have 13 weeks between now and when I would start a 16 week cycle for Philly in November. It may be weird running a marathon that late in the fall, but it should guarantee cool weather.

I'm running the Soldier Field 10 Memorial day weekend and I think I have an outside shot at going sub 70 assuming I recover well from yesterday. After that, I have 9 weeks with nothing other than a 2 mile XC race planned so I can just log miles and not have to worry about racing or sticking to a plan. Hopefully I can get some of my endurance base back during the next couple of months and have a solid foundation before I start training for Philly.

Not that I've posted much in this blog, but I think I'll just keep it going until the next cycle. It seems appropriate anyway since I'm still trying to get to being 100% healthy.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:16 am

Very nice time on the 1/2 sir. Looks you haven't lost as much fitness as you thought.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 am

Jim - Looks like we've got similar aspirations for the summer/fall. I'm also feeling a bit weird about doing a goal race so late in the fall (Dec 2? What?), but like you said, cold weather is going to guarantee some race day magic. Looking forward to seeing you rebuild that base!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat May 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks Joel!

Mike, it really is weird to have a race scheduled a full month after I've ever done a fall marathon before. Also weird to not start a training cycle until the last week of July!

Today I was unpleasantly reminded of the rigors of running in the heat and humidity. A planned 10-12 miler was quickly scaled back to 6 soon after i got out the door. I barely managed to get in under nine minute pace and felt like complete crap when I was done.

Note to self: get your butt out the door a bit earlier tomorrow!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 am

Last weekend was not conducive to running after the relatively cool weather we've been having. It was above 80 and pretty humid by 8:00 or so both days in St. Louis and I'm just not even close to acclimated yet. So, not much mileage logged last week at all.

This week got off to a much better start in spite of a trip to the corporate offices and dinners that I had to go to. Knocked out 7 on Monday night and Tuesday was an off day. I had planned on an interval workout Wednesday, but after a 2 mile warm up I started the first 800 of a planned 4-6 and about 400 in my right calf started feeling weird so I bailed on the speed workout. I bagged the run completely shortly after that.

I hit Forest Park last night for a run and despite the relative hilliness (compared to my normal courses anyway) I ran quite a bit faster than I intended. Knocked out 10 miles @ 7:57 pace and felt pretty good about it when I was done. Off day today and something easy Saturday with a 14-15 miler scheduled for Sunday. 2 weeks until a trip to Chicago for the Soldier Field 10.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 am

I think sub 70 for the 10 will happen for you. Good move bailing on the run when you calf had issue.

Philly marathon is ideal time IMO for cool running. Working through the summer months is great as you then get to see all your hard work pay off when it cools down.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat May 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Got in an easy 5 this morning at 9:08 pace, then headed to the zoo. I think I probably walked another 5 miles in the 3 hours we were there. The munchkin loves the place and despite her protest when it was time to leave, she passed out less than 5 minutes into the drive home. Her favorite part of the day:

The Long and Injury Riddled Road - Page 3 Spider10

In case you weren't sure, that is in fact a spider monkey eating corn on the cob out of a bird feeder type thing. It was pretty amusing to watch!

Last edited by mul21 on Sat May 12, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sat May 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey Jim, good to see you are getting back to where you want to be. I'm just starting again, so will be following your blog for inspiration!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat May 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Nice to see the running come along! Can't wait until my boy/girl is old enough to go to the zoo, looking so forward to doing all the fun kid things that I use to do as a kid!! FUN FUN FUN, well at least I say that now right?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun May 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Tom H wrote:Hey Jim, good to see you are getting back to where you want to be. I'm just starting again, so will be following your blog for inspiration!

Patience will certainly be a key. The biggest thing I've noticed is my legs not bouncing back as quick as they were before my little break. My paces aren't really all that far off from what they were but I'm not handling mileage as easily as I was. Oh, more miles and more time on my feet are the only fix!

Schuey wrote:Nice to see the running come along! Can't wait until my boy/girl is old enough to go to the zoo, looking so forward to doing all the fun kid things that I use to do as a kid!! FUN FUN FUN, well at least I say that now right?

It's so great once they start figuring things out. She knows what all the animals are and she actually wrote out the Mother's Day card herself. Crazy how quick they pick stuff up. She's not even going to be 4 for almost another month!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun May 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Great picture. You'll nail the 10M sub-70.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks Alex and here's hoping!

Sunday brought a 14 mile run to the schedule and I felt like crap from the word go. My legs were just shot, most likely from the relatively fast and hilly 10 miles on Thursday and compounded by 3 hours of pushing a stroller around the zoo on Saturday afternoon. I was tight and never got loosened up even a little bit. The last 5 miles really sucked, but I got through it at around an 8:12 pace. The combination of dead legs and increasing temperature as the run went on just wasn't any fun. My legs still don't feel all that great today, even after a day off and a pretty pedestrian 6 miles at 8:37 pace tonight, although that may have more to do with the 4 1/2 hour drive down to Memphis today than the weekend crapiness.

And here's a picture from Abby's 1st Cubs game last night. She had a blast!

[img]The Long and Injury Riddled Road - Page 3 DSCN0439[/img]
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 am

Looks like a little bit of overreaching might be going on here - or, at least, not enough recovery being made. At this point, not too much is going to increase your fitness for the 10-miler, just wear you out. I'd take it a bit easy until then and come out swinging on race day.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3