365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Treadmill

Go down

Treadmill Empty Treadmill

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:28 am

Not that I can use it now, but I saw a local add for a proform 680 LT treadmill for 350 obo. Anyone have any experience with these? It has a 20x55 deck and a smallish 2.8 hp motor, but I thought it might be useful at least - but don't want to buy something that is going to be awful to run on after a little while.

Any thoughts?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Treadmill Empty Re: Treadmill

Post  mul21 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 am

Spend more and get something beefier if you're going to have one at home. My cheapy one beats up my legs pretty bad in comparison to the nice ones at the gym. Plus, you want to get one with decline capability if you ever want to run Boston!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I purchased the Nordic Track 1750...there's a review in this past months RW. It feels extremely sturdy to me, has a decline of -3% and is programmable with google maps to give you just a few ideas. You can map out anywhere in the world that google maps keeps track of and it automatically increased and decreases terrain for you.

Paid $1495 initially, but with various rebates online I got another $150 off. Decent warranties as well. Larger motor and belt rollers. I've only had it since the first of October but I'm on it all the time and really like it.

Wonder if any of these might be on ebay or craig's list?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:03 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:Not that I can use it now, but I saw a local add for a proform 680 LT treadmill for 350 obo. Anyone have any experience with these? It has a 20x55 deck and a smallish 2.8 hp motor, but I thought it might be useful at least - but don't want to buy something that is going to be awful to run on after a little while.

Any thoughts?

You need to test drive it. The smaller HP motor concerns me because you run fast. If it's more than 3 years old, I would also price out a motor(new or rebuilt) from proform.

Proform TM's in general have good ratings.

$350 is not much of a risk, however. I'd probably just try it and see if I like it. Make sure you grab a single outlet surge suppressor, if you go for it.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't know jack about this topic...maybe I will learn something Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:12 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:I don't know jack about this topic...maybe I will learn something Smile

Jack's a good guy. Especially served on the rocks in a crystal glass.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Moot point - someone bought it already. I read a bunch of reviews and, Jim, it seems your right - probably need to spend substantially more to get something worth a darn for running. Diego - had to laugh that I run "fast" - but I will take the compliment!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

This might help for the future. I think MrMatt may have posted it originally somewhere, but I knew I had kept the link.

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index?category=2667
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:57 pm

its $350 for a reason
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:This might help for the future. I think MrMatt may have posted it originally somewhere, but I knew I had kept the link.

[url=http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index?category=2667
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index?category=2667[/quote[/url]]

That's the site I used when I went treadmill shopping and I (belatedly) thank Michele or Matt M or someone else for posting it. If the treadmill at home is going to be something you use regularly, meaning more than 1X a week, you gotta splurge and get one for $1000+ that can handle it. I've seen people have good luck with purchasing refurbished (not new but brand new motor and belt) commerical machines. They are huge so space availability is a real issue but if you want one as nice as the ones at the better gyms, it is a good way to go versus a cheap fold up space saver.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:57 am

I have a previous version of the NordicTrack Commercial 1500 that I got at Costo a few years ago. It's held up very well, and I see the Treadmill Dr. site likes both it and the NordicTrack 1750 that Dot was talking about. That ability for up to a 3% downhill sounds very tempting.

Here is NordicTrack's page on the 1750.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:32 am

The things I look at in a treadmill are:

- size of belt. Both the Precor I have (c996) and the NordicTrack have 20 x 60. I would not want a smaller one and most fold up ones are shorter and sometimes more narrow

- size of motor. You don't want this thing laboring to handle your race paced workouts. Cheapie ones have 2.0 HP motors and you'll kill that fast at the speeds you run. The NordicTrack shown above has a 3.5 motor and my Precor has a 4.0

- max speed. My old cheapie one topped out at 10 mph. Big problem when I was trying to do some speed workouts which needed to go into 5:XX pace. The NordicTrack tops out at 12 mph (5:00 pace) and my Precor goes to 16 mph pace (some insane speed I'll never use - 12 mph seems fine unless Dave gets you some day to being as fast as he is)

- incline/decline. Few treadmills have decline. Both the Precor and NordicTrack do. It is very cool and that way you don't have to do some crazy rigged up system to hoist the back end of the treadmill up on something to get it to do downhill running.

The thing I NEVER care about are features like programs, touch screens, HR stuff etc etc. Those just add big $$ and I never use any of them. I'm setting 100% of my runs to manual and adjusting the speed and incline/decline on my own. I watch TV while I run (a must wherever you set up your mill at home) and so I'm not going to look at anything on a fancy screen on the mill itself. A simple readout of distance, pace, time etc. is all I need.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:58 am

To add to the "price" thing, I bought a treadmill (Keys Fitness) at an Athletic equipment store back in 1999 when my daughter was young (6-7) as a tool to use when I couldn't go outside and run. I know that I spent around $2100 back then, but I can also tell you that I still use that very same treadmill (my daughter will be 19 in June). I have had an issue, I have never had it recalibrated (it is indeed accurate - when I set the speed for an 8 min mile, it is indeed an 8 min mile), I have never repaired or blown out the motor, I have moved it 3X (back/forth to OH and once in Atlanta), and since it has been so reliable, I will move it back to OH this June.. At the time, I was still "fast" enough that I needed a mill that would allow me to run 10 mph+, and they were difficult to find (this model goes up to 12 mph), and paying the price (at the time) has really paid off in spades.

I am guessing that many of the slightly less expensive models today are just as robust as this one has been, and I would love to have one that allowed for declines and well as inclines. Someday when I'm in the market again, I will once again look to spend the $$$. Unfortunately, I do not think Keys exists anymore as a viable company, but in 1999, they made a great product.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:29 pm

@Chris M wrote:The things I look at in a treadmill are:

- size of belt. Both the Precor I have (c996) and the NordicTrack have 20 x 60. I would not want a smaller one and most fold up ones are shorter and sometimes more narrow

- size of motor. You don't want this thing laboring to handle your race paced workouts. Cheapie ones have 2.0 HP motors and you'll kill that fast at the speeds you run. The NordicTrack shown above has a 3.5 motor and my Precor has a 4.0

- max speed. My old cheapie one topped out at 10 mph. Big problem when I was trying to do some speed workouts which needed to go into 5:XX pace. The NordicTrack tops out at 12 mph (5:00 pace) and my Precor goes to 16 mph pace (some insane speed I'll never use - 12 mph seems fine unless Dave gets you some day to being as fast as he is)

- incline/decline. Few treadmills have decline. Both the Precor and NordicTrack do. It is very cool and that way you don't have to do some crazy rigged up system to hoist the back end of the treadmill up on something to get it to do downhill running.

The thing I NEVER care about are features like programs, touch screens, HR stuff etc etc. Those just add big $$ and I never use any of them. I'm setting 100% of my runs to manual and adjusting the speed and incline/decline on my own. I watch TV while I run (a must wherever you set up your mill at home) and so I'm not going to look at anything on a fancy screen on the mill itself. A simple readout of distance, pace, time etc. is all I need.

Good info Chris...Thanks
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I will say this about the Nordic Track....it allows you to map your own runs and in doing so will adjust the elevation for you. So, if you map out sections of the Boston marathon, or want to train for other races...you can not only use the exact elevation, but you can do the street level views and satelites afforded by google maps. Keep in mind that this is all sponsored by ifit and there is one year free. After that it's $100 a year or something like that. Without the google maps, it comes with 30 standard programs and, of course, you can push all the buttons in manual and do whatever you want as well.

I currently have the Indy 500 Mini mapped out in 5k sections as well as the first 5k and last 5k of the Chicago marathon. The community involved with ifit also posts runs that you can download. Yes, theres a lot of stuff on there but if you need motivation to stay on it...it's definitely there. I've virtually raced 5k's as well.

Enough of the fancy schmancy. It's a sturdy machine and for $1495 less coupons and free delivery...makes it $1345 inside your front door.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down