365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Back to Burlington (I hope)

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Back to Burlington (I hope)

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm

A replay of last night - 6 miles on the tm at the Y, right at 6.7 mph. Watched sportscenter. You can't beat that!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Did my x-train at the Y last night. They've got a number of different lifecycle stationary bikes. I haven't used one of those in 20+ years, but used to do so regularly. I had a hard time figuring out the programs. I ended up trying a couple of different bikes and several different programs. Ultimately, the manual one worked best for me! Anyway, got in a good 35 or 40 minutes, which was all I really wanted.

I thought for sure I'd be stuck on the treadmill today. Forecast called for some snow overnight and during the morning hours today. But we got next to nothing. The temps were in the low to mid-30s I would guess this morning, so I headed out for the Airline Trail and started a run just before 10:00 and it was pretty nice. I did hit a couple of fairly long patches of snow-covered trail, but it was only about a quarter inch deep and not slippery enough to be a problem. It was odd that most of the trail was clear, but there were these sudden snow-covered patches. The snow didn't "ease in" somehow - it was all or nothing. Not sure how that happened. It would all have been from overnight, because there hasn't been any other recent snow, and I ran this trail last week, with no snow on it at all.

Got in a nice 12 miles. It even got almost sunny for a little while. Took it pretty easy - this is a stepback week for me (ending the third week of the schedule this weekend). Splits are below. Mostly, they vary with the uphill/downhill. The 7th mile was impacted by stopping at the car for fluids and then taking a quick leak. And the last mile I ran faster, well, just because. Felt good.

Post-run I have a little stiffness/pain in my instep area. I felt that late in the run, and attributed it to landing funny where the trail is pretty uneven. Hoping that doesn't linger.

It's been a great winter for training. Really a pleasure to get the long runs in outside and not on the mill.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Winter has been so warm that when it is seasonably cold, I don't want to run outside! I got back from church about 11:15. It was probably 30 degrees and windy, but sunny. The wind cut right through me as I was walking from the car. So, despite having planned to run outside, I took it in and ran on the mill, at just under 9:00 per.
Nice run.
What a wimp. Week 3 is in the books.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:Winter has been so warm that when it is seasonably cold, I don't want to run outside! I got back from church about 11:15. It was probably 30 degrees and windy, but sunny. The wind cut right through me as I was walking from the car. So, despite having planned to run outside, I took it in and ran on the mill, at just under 9:00 per.
Nice run.

Too funny, Michael, but I did the same thing down here. It has been so warm this winter even for us, that the normal 29F this morning drove me right to the mill. Tomorrow it is supposed to be below 20F here. Last winter we had weeks of these temps, this year it is the first one.

Keep up the good work - and we will be wimps together.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:Winter has been so warm that when it is seasonably cold, I don't want to run outside! I got back from church about 11:15. It was probably 30 degrees and windy, but sunny. The wind cut right through me as I was walking from the car. So, despite having planned to run outside, I took it in and ran on the mill, at just under 9:00 per.
Nice run.

Too funny, Michael, but I did the same thing down here. It has been so warm this winter even for us, that the normal 29F this morning drove me right to the mill. Tomorrow it is supposed to be below 20F here. Last winter we had weeks of these temps, this year it is the first one.

Keep up the good work - and we will be wimps together.
Thanks Michele! I'll take any company I can get. Smile
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 am

Nice job Michael. It was nice not getting all the snow we were supposed to.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:51 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Nice job Michael. It was nice not getting all the snow we were supposed to.

Agreed! I was very happy on Saturday about just that...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:45 pm

My schedule this week is pretty f'd up, so I had to juggle runs a little (not unexpected this time of year, and one of the reasons I do a 4 run per week schedule while training for spring marathons). I did 6 on the mill at the Y on Monday (at just under 9:00 per), so that was a run on a normal rest day. Tuesday usually is the first run of the week, but I had a couple of hours of meeting at church for a board I'm on, so that was out the window.

But it sure was nice to head up to the track on this warm February night and get six miles in! It felt so good, I went a little faster than I expected. I averaged 8:42. Since I ran the first mile at about 8:58, that means I ran the last 5 a fair piece faster. Whatever, it all felt great, and it was really nice to be outside in the evening. Just a bit windy, but not bad.

Tomorrow is another off night, then x-train on Friday, and go long on Saturday, I think. Again, weather looks to be really good for that (low 40s or better). I don't miss the snow after last year and all the roof collapses, etc.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Did my x-training at the Y again last night. Went pretty hard on the bike for a little over a half hour. A good cardio workout, for sure.
Was sleeping soundly when my 19 year old sent me a text at 3:48 a.m. and woke me up. What a knucklehead. Oh well, the joys of parenting. Took me until about 5 am to get back to sleep, and I had to get up at 6. I'll survive.
It was a gorgeous morning here - sunny, just a bit breezy, upper 30s and lower 40s. I went up to the Airline Trail and ran a 16 miler. It was all good. I was focused on slowing my pace from recent training runs. I ran the 15 a couple of weeks ago a little faster than optimal, and I know from experience that I will tend to do that as the runs get into the real "long run" space unless I really watch it. So I watched it. That worked out pretty well, splits below. Mostly the pace varied with the uphill/downhill, though I did make two pit stops, and combined one with a hydration stop. You can pick that one out pretty easily. "All in," the pace was just under 9:30, so about right. No reason for me to run these faster, and a little slower even would probably be better.
I do feel the x-training in my hammies during the long run the next day. I think that's ok, and actually may be a good thing - it reminds me to slow down the run! Oh, and I do like to pick up the pace for that last mile if I can - reminds me that I have a lot left.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:50 pm

So my right knee was a bit sore after the 16 yesterday. I've had some pain there the last week or two after running sometimes. I think actually it is ITB related, though it is just a bit below where I typically have had ITB problems. I took a look at where the band runs, and it goes right where it hurts, so I'm thinking I should work on those stretches again. It bothered me all afternoon, evening, but was fine this morning.
Headed out for another 6 late this morning. Beautiful again. About 40 and sunny. I'll take it! Just cruised along at an average pace of 8:57. Felt great.
The Colchester Half is Saturday. I've run this three times, I think. Usually, I just run it as some kind of training run. It is very hilly and usually the weather is not so great. The long range forecast looks good, and I'm feeling good, so if that all holds up, I may race it somewhat. No PR pace, I think, but something faster than a typical training run. We'll see how the week unfolds.
So, week 4 of Burlington training is done.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:41 pm

6 last night on the mill at the Y at just under 9:00 per.
6 tonight on the mill at the Y at just under 9:00 per.
I'm a bit of a broken record!
I'm front-loading it a little this week due to scheduling issues and my planned HM on Saturday, but I'd better watch it. That's four days in a row, and 34 miles in those four days, plus the x-training on Friday night, so pushing it a little. I may go yet again tomorrow night, but I'll play that by feel, and I'm not sure if schedule will permit.
But so far everything feels good. Got a new pair of Ghost 4s on the way, as the current pair is approaching 400 miles and I felt pretty sore on the bottom of my feet after the 16 on Saturday, which I wore those for. They're ok for the short ones on the mill, but I think they need to get phased out.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Yet another 6 miles at just under 9:00 per at the mill at the Y. Am I in a rut?
In any event, I'm done for a couple of days. That's 5 straight running days and 40 miles, on top of the x-train day, so I definitely need a rest before the HM on Saturday. Weather for that looks good, if a bit windy. But whatever the weather, this race is always hilly!
Can't wait...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Race well this weekend . . . or do six on the mill. Your choice.
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm

@Dave Wolfe wrote:Race well this weekend . . . or do six on the mill. Your choice.

Ha! I think I'll stick with the race...
Thanks!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Good luck tomorrow Michael. Looks like there might be some strong wind gusts.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:56 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Good luck tomorrow Michael. Looks like there might be some strong wind gusts.

yes, the forecast is for high winds. I was telling someone at lunch that apparently I only get to race in chilly weather and high winds these days (my last race was Cape Cod with you in the aftermath of the Nor'easter!).
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Why is it that circumstances seem to dictate that I get almost no sleep the night before a race? Having nothing to do with any race anxiety (there was none - I was running this one a little harder than a training run, and mostly for fun), but having a lot to do with being the father of four teenagers, I got about 2 hours of sleep last night.

Of course, that didn't stop me from running the Colchester Half Marathon this morning. I felt good at the start, if a bit tired. Nice except for the wind. About 38 degrees at the start and mostly sunny. The wind was gusting into the 35-50 mph range, I think (that's what they'd predicted, and it sure felt like it). That kept up the whole race, but fortunately much of the course was somewhat sheltered (because the course is so friggin' hilly, really!). Between the wind and the hills, I knew it would be a challenging run, and the lack of sleep wouldn't help. But what the heck, I only paid $12 to run it! This race is run by a guy named Rick Konon, who does a great job, and all of us runners in central CT love him for doing it. He certified the course this year, which is nice.

I took off at an easy pace, and figured I'd slow down and speed up with the wind and the hills. I wasn't fighting anything today. About half a mile in, someone's hat blew off, but I saved it for her and we relayed it back up to her. That was fun. Surprised I didn't see more hats flying in the wind. Splits and elevation below. The last couple of miles are straight into the wind. Even though I picked it up for the last mile, since I had quite a bit left, the gusts were so strong that a couple of times I thought the wind was actually going to stop me in my tracks! It didn't, though. I passed quite a few people at the end and into the chute. Only confusion on the course was that there were three mats at the end. I hit the watch at the first one, which was wrong, I think. So my watch time below is probably 5 or 6 seconds faster than my actual net time. In any event, there is no mat at the start. I expect my official time will end up being about 1:57 on the nose, based on the delay at the start and what I can remember about the clock as I finished.

So, I ran that faster than my long run pace, and at about marathon pace. That is about what I set out to do - run it harder, but not go crazy, and not a flat out HM race pace. Too early for that, and this course and the conditions are too hard for it.

Just a short run tomorrow, and I'll have another week in the bag.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Rounded out week 5 of Burlington training with a nice 4 miler on the road outside my door. Averaged 8:33 for this short run. Hilly, but felt good on this beautiful day. I shoulda waited an hour, and my daughter and I could have run it together! I had no idea she wanted to go...

I retired my Ghost 4s, and christened a new pair. The old ones had 375 miles on them. Based on how the new ones felt, I think it was time to rotate the old ones out! They served me well.

The half yesterday left my right foot oddly sore for a while yesterday afternoon, but that was short-lived. Not sure what that was all about, but it had me limping for all of an hour. Now seems fine.

This has been a month of incredible running weather. Hopefully, winter won't make much of a comeback.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Hills AND wind...YIKES! Way to go! Glad the foot 'thing' didn't bother you long.
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Great job on the race Michael. Racing on the hills should help you for Burlington.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm

@KathyK wrote:Hills AND wind...YIKES! Way to go! Glad the foot 'thing' didn't bother you long.

Thanks Kathy! It was an interesting combination...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job on the race Michael. Racing on the hills should help you for Burlington.

Actually, Alex, it reminded me a lot more of that day we ran Cape Cod!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 am

I finally found the official results for my HM on Saturday, and my official time was 1:56:45, which surprised me, until I realized that the did have a start mat after all, so I guessed right about my net time, and that is posted. So that's nice. I'll take whatever 18 seconds I can get!

That's my first race in my new age group (55-59). Although I'm probably the youngest in the age group, I came in the middle of the pack (17/33). Happy with that, all things considered.

The next half I have planned is an inaugural half in Cheshire, CT (home of many prisons!), and I'm hoping that conditions are good (and it is supposed to be pretty flat!), and I will just flat out race that one, which I haven't had a nice opportunity to do for a half or a 20K in a long time.

Took my normal rest day yesterday, and may have to do that again today - schedule issues. May be a good thing anyway. Might need a bit of a rest.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am

Congrats on the nice race results! When is the Cheshire half marathon? What's your goal for that one?
KathyK
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 am

@KathyK wrote:Congrats on the nice race results! When is the Cheshire half marathon? What's your goal for that one?

Thanks Kathy!

Cheshire is April 29th (so 4 weeks out from the marathon). If all signs are positive, I'd like to flat out race that one and shoot for a PR. Current PR for the half, which was set three years ago, is 1:45:22. I think on the perfect day and the perfect course I can beat that, still! I would love to finally break 1:45, after flirting with it a handful of times.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top