365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Burlington (I hope)

+8
Chris M
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
Dave P
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
dot520
Michael Enright
12 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Back to Burlington (I hope) - Page 8 Empty Re: Back to Burlington (I hope)

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Really feeling like the taper now - 6 miles tonight. It was still raining ever so lightly after a drenching day, and I'm still a little sick, so I kept it indoors. Ran this at an average of 9:00 on the treadmill. Legs felt surprisingly good. The taper is amazing for its curative powers!
I'm going to need a new tm before long. It's a good thing this cycle is just about over and we are really into warm weather running, because I could not deal with longer and more frequent tm runs when it just blows the breaker mysteriously mid-run. Really annoying. Not sure what's up with that, but it has started happening again a lot, after a long layoff. Maybe I'll try plugging it into a different circuit.
Sweet madness of taper - started looking at weather forecasts already. I know that's ridiculous, especially for a place like Burlington, which is notoriously difficult to predict at all, let alone this far out.
Gotta get past this cold bug - I feel like I am getting better now. Need that now!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed May 16, 2012 9:27 pm

6 more taper miles tonight, this time at the track. Averaged 9:21. Felt a little slow. Might have been that I ate just before I ran - I hate that - but I did it anyway, because when I got home, I heard that there was a track meet going on at the high school, and I didn't want to go up there and have it still going on, so I ate first and ran later.
Got to watch a really cool lightning show way off in the distance. You could see the lightning in a big bank of clouds (some kind of front) way off to the northeast, probably over Hartford, or maybe even farther. Pretty cool.
Just four runs (well, maybe 5) left before the race...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am

The hay is in the barn. Just maintenance from here on out.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:The hay is in the barn. Just maintenance from here on out.

Agreed on that score.

Time to obsess about weather (impossible to forecast weather in Burlington, but that won't stop me, even this far out, which is absurd). Looks to be warm!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat May 19, 2012 11:45 am

Nice 8 miler on a beautiful morning here. Averaged 8:56 and felt great.

Busy day ahead, and pretty much for the weekend. Lots to do, especially because we'll be in Burlington next weekend.

Ready. Three pretty short runs left to go before the race.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun May 20, 2012 1:30 pm

6 miles on the Airline Trail today. No idea what pace. Forgot my watch. It was kind of nice to just run. A beautiful day again here, though a tad warm for running very far. Fortunately, I wasn't going very far.
Weather forecast is currently pretty good for Burlington. They all seem to agree on low 70s for a high and a nice day. I would take that. Supposed to get warm here during the week, with a tropical storm coming up the east coast.
We'll see. Like I said before, Burlington is a ridiculously tough weather forecast.
Just a couple of dinky midweek runs left, and maybe a short tune up Saturday early.
Nice to get another training cycle done. Training for the spring races is always such a transition. I started in late January in the cold and dark, and now it's hot and sunny. At least it was a strangely warm mild winter, which sure helped.
Still feeling it from cold or allergies or whatever this is. Congested with a slight cough and throat thing going on. Wanna clear that up ASAP. Seems I can run with it, anyway.
I watched the champions league final yesterday (well, the second half and the overtime and the penalty kicks). That was amazing. I know little about soccer (the guy whose office is next to mine is a huge fan, and he tells me all about it, so I felt I knew a lot more than the average American, but that still is not much), but that was just crazy. Hard to believe that the only mention of it in today's Hartford paper is a tiny blurb that you can barely read.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sun May 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Enjoy Taper Michael! (or at least try to)
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am

Continue to drink a lot of fluids. Hopefully on race day you'll be 100%.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks guys.

Forecast yesterday looked really good. Forecast today looks too hot.

Taper madness continues.

Feeling good in my legs, etc., and quite a bit better with whatever this cold thing is, though still not 100%.

If today's forecast holds, it'll be a slow, easy pace on Sunday. Learned my lesson in Chicago '08.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 22, 2012 4:54 pm

This is the race site's commentary about the weather forecast for race day from five days before the race, in 2010, when I last ran it:

Five days and counting to the KeyBank Vermont City Marathon! And the weather picture continues to "evolve" as we get closer to the race. That's a polite way of saying, "it keeps changing." Yesterday it looked like there would be a significant cooldown for the holiday weekend after a very warm week leading up to it. Now, the latest data shows that the much colder air is going to stay bottled up well to our north. So, after a brief and not so drastic drop in the temperatures by the end of the week and the first half of the weekend, it looks like the heat may try to make another run at us, starting on Sunday. We will be right on the boundary between the cooler air to the north and east, and the warmer air to the south and west. So, it will be close. At this point, it looks like Race Day will start out with fairly cool, seasonable temperatures, but it may start warming up again as we go through the day to above average levels. The low temperature looks to be in the low 50s and highs will climb into the 70s, and possibly the low 80s. It looks like it will be a dry day with a mix of sun & clouds. And the wind will be fairly moderate out of the west. We will continue to follow the evolution of this ever-changing weather pattern through the rest of the week and will "fine tune" the forecast over the next few days. And in the few days right before the race, we will give you an hour-by-hour account of what can be expected as you run the race.

Here it is as of today for this Sunday's race:

The Race Day forecast just keeps . . . well, let's just say "evolving." First it looked fairly cool, then not quite as cool (temperatures in the low/mid 70s). Last night, some information came in that made it look like it might be very hot (temperature near 90!). Now it looks somewhere in between. And here's why: It all has to do with a front, which has very warm air to its south, and sharply cooler air to its north. The big question is where that front is going to park itself on Race Day. If it comes through and heads to our south, it will be cool. If it gets stuck to the north, it will be hot. Or . . . if it stalls out right over us, it will be right in between. But there will also be the chance for showers. Right now, it looks like we might be looking at that 3rd scenario - partly sunny to mostly cloudy with a chance for showers, a high around 80 degrees after a morning low near 60. So, we're not there yet. We'll continue to monitor the situation closely over the next few days and should have it narrowed down by the end of the week. But this is a heads-up that the weather could swing one way or the other. Stay tuned!

I think they need to be a little more decisive and creative!!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue May 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Nice, short, 3 miler in a light misty rain at the track tonight. Belly full of chinese food just prior, which is never a good idea. Took it easy for the first couple of laps as a result. Just ran steady, and picked it up the last couple of laps for the "feel good" effect. Nice run, averaging 8:56.
Still ready...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Good luck this weekend Michael. Have fun and hopefully everything comes together.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Good luck this weekend Michael. Have fun and hopefully everything comes together.

Thanks Alex. No matter what happens, I will have fun!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Banged out another 4 miler at the track tonight. Nice night. Averaged 8:52. Felt strong. Beautiful night. Hard to believe I just finished another winter/spring training schedule. Those are the tough ones for me. Schedule just can barely handle it. Feels good to get it done!

Race is Sunday...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 am

Wow, I hope the current forecast holds - looks perfect in Burlington on Sunday!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun May 27, 2012 1:36 pm

4:15:19 and happy - best I could do today. Race report later. Thanks for all your support!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Great job Michael. You got it done. Rest up now and enjoy Burlington.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun May 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks, and will do!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 pm

I ran for the first time since the marathon tonight - a nice 5 miles at the track. Averaged about 8:45 and felt really good. Beautiful evening. Even though I didn't start until about 8, it was nice and light the whole run - you gotta love this time of year with the late sunlight (at least I love it now that I don't have any young kids who won't go to bed until it's dark!).
I wore my Kinvaras, and they felt great.
So, everything was good. I also cycled about 12 miles on Sunday, and I always enjoy that. So, I'm feeling pretty good.
Next marathon is Sept. 30. I just signed up for a half in a little over two weeks that I've run a couple of times. I doubt I'll run that all that fast, but I enjoy the race and it seemed like a good idea. Probably be too hot for a good time anyway (this race often is).
Will probably start a new blog soon, now that Burlington is in the rear view mirror.
Fun stuff...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8