365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kara Sevda

+15
Dave Wolfe
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
Alex Kubacki
mul21
Schuey
jon c
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
JohnP
Julie
Kenny B.
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
19 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Kara Sevda - Page 7 Empty Re: Kara Sevda

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Ooo. Auburn. I recognize it, and I have fond memories of those warm March days in Northern California.

Now, I'm trying to remember what part of town you're in.... My wife has relatives near Ashford Park.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm near Railhead Park. If you were able to look straight through that oak at the end of the driveway, you'd be looking at the park itself. Just a half mile from ADO (Auburn Dam Overlook, now renamed American River Canyon Overlook, as the dam never got built) and all the hell those trails bring What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:I'm near Railhead Park. If you were able to look straight through that oak at the end of the driveway, you'd be looking at the park itself. Just a half mile from ADO (Auburn Dam Overlook, now renamed American River Canyon Overlook, as the dam never got built) and all the hell those trails bring What a Face

Don't brag about your awesome trails. It's unbecoming, and makes us envious. Wink

I know that area a little. I've been through on Folsom-Auburn Road many a time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:56 pm

That road is where most of my long runs have taken place of late, Mark. Starting at the bottom of the hill and heading down towards Folsom. Then back. Then down again. And back. Ad infinitum.

---

A grueling 65min today for three reasons. First, I tend to be a little bonky on Mondays. Probably because I tend to eat a lot Wednesday/Thursday and then "get back on the wagon" Fri-Sun, leaving me carb depleted Monday. Something to keep in mind for when I go into my peak in 2 weeks.

Second, it was fucking hot. Okay, only in the mid-60s, but had it not been breezy... Man, that would've sucked. Crazy how last year around this time, 60 was cold and 55 meant arm warmers. Now, 60 is borderline shirtless.

Third, my legs are still a little toasted from the last 2 weeks. Seeing as this is my 3rd of 3 build weeks, that's fine. I've got a pace-doesn't-matter 2hr40min trail run tomorrow, so as long as I get the time in, I should be fine. I'm hoping for 9min pace, but whatever happens happens.

Overall, 8.31mi today; 2mi warm-up, 6mi @ 7:40 (GA, but felt a little tougher), then a 3min cooldown to the bathroom here at school to wash up. Stupid that the locker rooms aren't public and are reserved for people in PE classes.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 am

This has nothing to do with running...but saw that you ride a motorcycle. What do you ride? I'm a Harley girl (old woman). I ride a '09 Deluxe.

Nice running, hangover and all...
(I'll have to try that taco recipe)
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Eep, this is where I embarrass myself. It's just a Suzuki GZ250; my brother bought it back in 2005? 06? Something around that. I snagged it from him for cheap over the summer. Been sort of looking around for something in the 500-750cc class. We'll see.

---

Whew, today's run... Planned 2hr40min on a trail with about 15 rollers ranging from 50' to 200'. So maybe rollers is the wrong word and I should call them hills? Plus one massive ascent (775') and descent. Yep, Mike's back in Auburn's trail system. As I noted yesterday, a 9min/mi average pace would make me very happy, and was a loose goal.

I was a bit worried about how my legs were going to hold up today, since yesterday was kind of sucky, but a late-night peanut butter sandwich and apple gave me some hope that I wouldn't repeat the carb-depletion thing. Started off the run nice and easy, as the first half mile or so is a 5.5% climb followed by an equal descent. Calves were immediately awakened and reminded me that I haven't done this in a while. Okay, okay, fine.

Kept the nice and easy/LSD effort through about 7 hills until I hit that massive ascent. It had been cloudy and very, very lightly drizzling at the beginning of the run, but by now was raining decently and pretty windy. Stopped for a quick pee and started up. Now, this ascent averages 25% with some parts around 30%, so no, I didn't run it. I power-hiked it and tried to jog as much as possible; the goal was to slightly blow up my quads so the next 5-6 miles of rollers (for real, only 15-25' this time) would mimic running on tired/shredded quads.

About 5 minutes after hitting the top of the hill and starting along my favorite stretch of trail, hands down, I decided that I'd make this middle hour a tempo-to-GA effort. It didn't hurt that the rain had been replaced by sunshine and it was finally warming up to around 50. Since the hill was at tempo effort, despite the fact that I was merely power-hiking, that meant this part would be GA. I pushed it a little on the uphills and really let the legs go on the downs.

Felt good, and when my form started to deteriorate about 30min into this hour, I knew I was doing what I wanted. I tried to force my knees high and my strides controlled, really focusing on my core, but man, it's been a while since I've done this sort of running, and my glutes and ankles made that clear. The former, aching. The latter, becoming flimsy and sore.

Pushed through the hour, which ends with a mile long downhill at 13% (portions of it around 20%+; yes, I was actually groaning due to the amount of abuse my quads were taking), and readied myself for what would be a painful final 45min. Painful was right, as I hit 4 more hills; I'm not sure if the ups or downs were worse, but they both sucked.

Went into zombie mode - you know, fuck the rest of the world, just get this shit done - with about 20min to go, and finished it up as strong as I could. Overall, nailed my pace goal, with the Garmin showing 9:00 average splits (my program on the computer is showing 8:59s, hmmm...) for a total of 17.8mi. I did something similar to this for a 2hr40min run for OC last year, but whereas that run was half roads and only had 2200' gain/loss, this one was almost all trail and had 4000'+. My pace was only 10sec faster last year.

Tomorrow will be my last run in northern California for a week; I'm headed home after class. Aileen gets into town Saturday (was very nice to finish my run today and see "I'm so excited to see you!" from her on my phone) and we head back up on Tuesday. Should be a nice cutback week before my peak.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 pm

45min recovery in Davis today. Meaning pancake flat. Noticed a little tightness on the back/outside of my right knee. Not unexpected, really. But not at all painful or anything.

Long drive tonight and tempo tomorrow!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote: Overall, nailed my pace goal, with the Garmin showing 9:00 average splits (my program on the computer is showing 8:59s, hmmm...) for a total of 17.8mi.

I've been having a similar experience but with HR on mine. It seems to show up a bpm higher when I download the workouts than it is just looking at it on the watch. Not sure if it's a data smoothing thing or a rounding thing or what, but definitely curious how the same device gives 2 different readings for the same data.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Jim - My Garmin and WKO+ (computer program) also show different times for my runs (WKO+ usually adds about 10 seconds), so... Hmmm.

---

Whew. That was indeed a long drive last night. Got on the road around 7:15pm and went 440 miles south. Rolled in the door at 1:30am, made a White Russian, and watched hockey with some 100-year celebration Oreos until I was unwound and ready for bed. Remember, fuel of champions.

I didn't get out of bed until around 9 or 9:30 today, which meant it was already a bit toasty out. Funny how I'm calling 60 in the shade, 65 in the sun, toasty. Plus it's windy, so it's even cooler. Had a pretty lazy morning, meaning I didn't start the run until just after noon. By that point, it was around... gasp... 70!

Plan was a 1hr tempo run: 20min warm-up (downhill 1-2%), then 25min Hal-style tempo, increasing effort every 5min from GA--->8k, then 5min @ MP and a 10min cool-down.

I started off conservatively with the warm-up being more or less a recovery effort. By the time I hit LT pace 15min later, I was starting to suck wind a bit, exactly where I should be. Pushed through another 10min and actually overshot the last segment a bit, going 6:17 instead of 6:30. Oops. Oh well, it's nice to be home and running in the sun and to be able to lose the shirt without getting chilly.

Now I just want a margarita and a hammock. I'm such a bum.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
Now I just want a margarita and a hammock. I'm such a bum.

Nah, just a good "kid" that I get to relive my college/grad school days through. And I try to forget it all so I don't think my daughter will be doing any of it next year.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Sounds like you had a great run...but of course that was expected after the late night Oreo snack!
Hope you enjoyed that margarita! It's 'almost' margarita and hammock season here...can't wait!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Michele - Glad to know I'm not the only one who is going through his post-grad years in such a manner. Actually, most of my friends in graduate programs are constantly posting photos of Friday night wine+homework sessions. Personally, I can't mix the two.

Kathy - It ended up being a chocolate stout that was, in the end, a bit disappointing. But the mahi mahi tacos and Corona for dinner were perfect.

---

It's 82 degrees out. Windy again, but 82. Eighty. Two.

Yes, the heat was a huge factor in today's run. That's basically what I'm getting at.
Planned 90min run with a nice, 6-mile downhill to warm-up followed by what I'm calling the Olympiad Hills. So named for the street they're on. The latter half of which is on the 1984 LA Olympics road cycling course (hence the street name).

Averaged 8:09s for the warm-up, then went at marathon effort (okay, a smidgen harder) up and down those hills for the next 40min, averaging 7:43 pace with a net elevation gain of 350'.

On the chart below, the height of the hills are: 90', 150', 55', (little bump), 40', 125', 45', and 175'. So, that was my "Newton simulation." It hurt. A lot. After Tuesday's mountain adventure, yesterday's tempo, and with today's heat... Oh well, got it done.

Kara Sevda - Page 7 30912r10
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 pm

I was gonna do a double today? Ha. Did an easy 45min this morning before Aileen's flight landed. Then we had a nice big lunch with her family and took a nap... from 2:30-5:00. Dinner plans at 6, so there goes the run. Tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Sounds like you made the right choice today, Mike.

It's 82 in SoCal now? Sheesh!

Definitely better conditions for fish tacos and Coronas than chocolate stout.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm jealous of these downhills you keep running. The latest Running Times said that to prepare for Boston, even a few weeks of running downhills, especially at pace (or tempo as you did) is really helpful. I may be lugging a 2x4 to the health club as the ones there don't have declines.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Mark - It was 82 for a day, yeah. It's back down to the mid-60s and sunny now with a slight breeze. At least here in Lakewood. At the parents' house, it's probably a bit warmer and windier.

John - Yep, everyone's been drilling how important those downhills are, so I'm trying to get my mountain goat legs back to the point where I can use the downhill for recovery. Makes me wish I'd never stopped running mountains back in September. Baby steps...

---

Today's my off day. So, of course, I ran. Not too much, just the 30min recovery jog I was supposed to do with Aileen yesterday. We ran the first mile in just under 10min - her easy training pace is around 9:30 - to warm-up, then I joked that we could easily catch the two guys ahead of us before they turned...

But easy was an overstatement. We ended up doing a pretty hard minute uphill (and still didn't catch them), then I decided to be a jerk and throw a kick to see if she was paying attention. Oh, right, I forgot, this girl has a ridiculous top speed. Kept kicking, easing up, kicking harder, easing up, about 5 times until I was running a full sprint at a 4:45 pace... And she just barely started fading at that point.

Ran the rest of it really easy and taught her how to run stride(r)s at the end, explained what they're good for, what to pay attention to, etc.

I think I'm getting as excited for her half marathon as she is - though, to be sure, I know she's really excited, if only because she's going to beat her sisters' PRs. And by beat, I mean destroy. I think she's going up against a 2:40 and is going to break 2:00, so...

We followed up the run with a walk to the donut shop and Starbucks. Yes, I rewarded myself with a bear claw as well as a white-frosting-with-rainbow-sprinkles donut after a 30min recovery run. What a Face

---

On a more sophisticated culinary note, Aileen's family had a big potluck dinner last night. Her father made one of the best things, hands down, I've ever eaten. It was a spicy, tomato-and-oil based sauce with shrimp and calamari rings in it. We dipped bread in it and picked out the shrimp, but it would work perfect with pasta. Getting a recipe for it as soon as possible, though as he said, "well, my recipe was really more like 'drink a bottle of wine, then start cooking.'" Of course.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Love this girl - is she coming with to Boston?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am

A post-run doughnut run...gotta love it!
Will this be Aileen's first half marathon?
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Michele - Yes! I believe she'll be getting in Friday night, as she has class and will be flying up from DC after. I think the parents and I get in Friday sometime during the day...?

Kathy - Love it indeed. The girl has her priorities in order. It will be her first half - a few years back, she was training for a marathon with her brother but was kind of haphazard in following the plan, so on a whimsical 8-miler she ended up giving herself a case of runner's knee that would flare up every time she ran for a couple years after that. Looks like a summer on the bike with me strengthened her quads up enough to take the stress off the joint, since she's been running for 2 months now with no issues.

---

Creak. Between the sheer quantity of delicious food and wine I've been consuming while at Aileen's house this weekend and the impromptu sprint-fest on my "off" day yesterday, I was a bit rusty all around this morning. But hey, at the beginning of a cutback week just before my peak, a little rust seems appropriate.

Did a 15min warm-up to try and clear the majority of the gunk from my legs before dropping the pace to 7:35 (MP+10sec). In all honesty, the warm-up hadn't done much, so this was a sort of tough-love move on my part. After 15min at that pace, I dropped it another 5sec (okay, I meant to drop it 5 but it really averaged out at 10, so MP), then finished up with 15min at just-under-MP.

For the majority of the run, the front muscle on my shins (help me out here, Mark) was sore and whiny - this happens from time to time - and my feet felt awkward. Actually, the pace itself was nowhere near comfortable, and while I averaged those times, I probably spent most my time wavering between a comfortable 7:40 and a comfortable 7:10. All this hill work in Auburn has made steady pacing feel foreign.

As I mentioned above, it's a cutback week for me, so I'll be doing 2 3-day cycles of 1hr, 1.5hr, .75hr. The first 1hr was today at MP, the 2nd will be a tempo run. The long runs will both be LSD (8:30ish) and the short runs will be true recovery pace (9:00).

---

Tonight is a very belated birthday dinner with the parents and Aileen. Mom's stressing about what to get me for my birthday, despite me telling her repeatedly that the Costco shopping spree to replenish dwindling food supplies was more than enough. So I said she could buy me new running shoes, as I'm pretty sure my aches and pains today were due to me running in my old Ghost 3s (guessing they've got 750+ miles on them).

Oh, and I'm moving from Auburn to Davis (not a flat road in sight to PANCAKE flat) in the beginning of April. Just enough time to peak on the hills and taper on the flats so my legs can recover.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:03 am

That's great. Doughnuts after the run. Very Happy
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Alex - They were delicious. Seriously.

---

Planned 1hr30min LSD run today. Started LSD pace, and was right on the nose with 8:34 average (7mph) at 40min in. A short potty break later, that effort level seemed to drop to a time of around 8:00 flat, and on the downhill (2-3mi of it on the way home), we're talking mid-7's. And this is all really, really easy. I decided to just ride the pace and accept it for what it was. Ended up with an 8:17 average overall for 10.9mi.

Now, a long-ass drive back to Auburn.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Mike - great to see you easing back into it without any bad hiccups - and I agree, doughnuts are awesome!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks John. I know that injury sucks, and coupled with real-life problems it's even worse, but you'll be back on the recovery train soon. Hang in there and know you've still got a ton of years ahead of you.

---

Brief update. 45min recovery yesterday, first 25min with Aileen. We were running through pretty heavy rain, soaked to the bone, on muddy trails. I was in hog heaven. She... wasn't. But she pushed through it like a champ and let me go on for my last 20min alone. Funny how much harder and more boring the run became after that point.

Today was an hour with a 20min progressive tempo followed by 10min @ MP. Felt WAY better than last week's, no creaks or anything.

Tomorrow's an hour and a half easy. Probably going to head to Folsom area and grab more coffee and donuts post-run. I swear, this girl's visit is making me gain way too much weight... Guess it's a good thing I'm not going for a PR in Boston. And I've got the whole summer to work it off and be ready for CIM in December.

Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Thanks John. I know that injury sucks, and coupled with real-life problems it's even worse, but you'll be back on the recovery train soon. Hang in there and know you've still got a ton of years ahead of you.

---

Brief update. 45min recovery yesterday, first 25min with Aileen. We were running through pretty heavy rain, soaked to the bone, on muddy trails. I was in hog heaven. She... wasn't. But she pushed through it like a champ and let me go on for my last 20min alone. Funny how much harder and more boring the run became after that point.

Today was an hour with a 20min progressive tempo followed by 10min @ MP. Felt WAY better than last week's, no creaks or anything.

Tomorrow's an hour and a half easy. Probably going to head to Folsom area and grab more coffee and donuts post-run. I swear, this girl's visit is making me gain way too much weight... Guess it's a good thing I'm not going for a PR in Boston. And I've got the whole summer to work it off and be ready for CIM in December.

Dude! You're doing CIM?!?

There's a chance you might just see me in those parts at about that time of year... not saying I'm doing the race, but I know my wife and her brother might be wanting to do the relay. And if I'm there, and looking for a long training run... well...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Mark - as of now, CIM is my goal 2012 race. It's really late in the season for me (I usually start to hibernate around the beginning of November) but I'm hoping I can stave that off by taking some time off after Boston and then doing only minimally structured training over the summer.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next