365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

+35
Lauren
Jack_Scaff
Liz R
Dave-O
jon c
Mark B
Penelope
Joel H
Chris M
JohnP
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
fostever
Alex Kubacki
rhondda h
Vivian
Dave P
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
ChasMcG
mul21
Schuey
Dave Wolfe
Tom H
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Kenny B.
Julie
KathyK
Natalie
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Matt W
Mrs. Schuey
39 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 12 Empty Re: I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Kenny B. Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 am

I want to say you guys are nuts in a good way but I can't. I think there are times where you just have to head in doors. Is it worth it doing 13 in 97 degrees and going though what you went through and you have to recover from that as well which affects training. There's crazy and there is crazy stupid. And I mean this in the most loving way. I hate to see something terrible happen to you...it is just a training run. Save the crazy stupid for races. I mean I want to badwater one day my wife says it is just stupid I agree but it also crazy and worth it for a goal. But training runs are just that for training not over training.

Hope there is no residual affect and you able to regroup well.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 12 Empty Re: I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

Joel H wrote:Nice runs until that long run...you guys are NUTS for getting out in that heat. I am glad nothing bad happened. Keep up the good work.

Yeah, it was a bit crazy...I admit it. I'm glad nothing bad happened too! It wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't screw up the path. If we would have turned right instead of going straight, we would've hit up a bathroom with water just when we needed it. Lesson learned! Haha!

mul21 wrote:And that's why I got up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday to run. The crash and burn I had the previous Sunday was not something I want to repeat!
I foresee a lot of butt crack of dawn runs this week. It's not worth getting injured over.

fostever wrote:Hey, glad you made it back to your car without taking an ambulance. Yikes, those temps were dangerous yesterday. Good day to run indoors or crosstrain/swim. Hope you recover well. Surprised you all haven't been to Caldwell woods before. Toni and I bike up to the Botanic Gardens once in a while and she has her family's picnic out there sometimes.
Hey! Me too!! The temps were dangerous and I won't be out doing a long run like that again in it. I learned my limit yesterday, and that's one of the good things that came from the run. I know just how far I can run and what I need to carry with me going forward during runs like that. Caldwell is great! There were a ton of people having picnics, swimming and biking on the path. I can't wait to see how beautiful it is in the fall!

Kenny B. wrote:I want to say you guys are nuts in a good way but I can't. I think there are times where you just have to head in doors. Is it worth it doing 13 in 97 degrees and going though what you went through and you have to recover from that as well which affects training. There's crazy and there is crazy stupid. And I mean this in the most loving way. I hate to see something terrible happen to you...it is just a training run. Save the crazy stupid for races. I mean I want to badwater one day my wife says it is just stupid I agree but it also crazy and worth it for a goal. But training runs are just that for training not over training.

Hope there is no residual affect and you able to regroup well.

Kenny, I agree...there is crazy and then there is crazy stupid. Yesterday, what happened was a bit crazy stupid. While I think days like that are good at times to make you stronger, they are also good days to hit up the treadmill. I don't think it would have been as bad if we didn't screw up and miss the path. However, like I said to Steve, I learned my limits yesterday with running in high heat and I know that I cannot do long runs in that type of heat. The temps were at a dangerous level yesterday. Thanks for caring and we care for you just the same! I love you

I talked to Martin and we decided that I'll take today as a rest day. I was going to run 3 tonight after work, but we're giving my body 1 more day to recover and then it's back on the roads. It's pretty hot here again today and it's supposed to be through Thursday this week. As hot as this is, I'll take this over snow and ice any day! I'm walking to and from work slower over the next few days too, with a water bottle.

Thanks for the caring, we love you all right back!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:06 pm

I feel the same way about ice and snow. Drink your water and try to run early a.m. if possible.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Good run - I know it was a "bad run" and one you wouldn't want to repeat, but you got through it and can now draw on that strength in the future. I know you already have a mother, but be careful....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm just going to say that I'm glad that you finished upright and smiling - but don't do that again. Good thing both of you were together, but still running that long in 97F is ridiculous unless you're training for Badwater.

'Nuff said - take care today, and do not do that again, ok? It took me months to recover from a marathon run in 80 degree temps.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah I get up at 4:15 if necessary. When you start getting heat exhaustion (the not sweating, getting cold) you are more likely to get it a repeat time so you really don't want to mess with getting it the first time. Be careful and be smart!! Drink lots, eat some pretzels or other salty food and be careful. Heat waves don't last forever and your marathon is still a few mos away.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:55 pm

A rest day is a smart idea after a run like that. The heat really takes a lot out of your body so time to recovery will help a lot. I grew up not too far from there but didn't get there much.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:59 am

Hopefully your next run is a lot easier/cooler. The weather has been poor for running lately. It was great having lunch with you and Martin Sunday!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm

That sounded like a brutal run in the heat. I know I've been dragging at the end of a run because of heat before, even when I had water. It did sound like a great place to run if the temperatures weren't trying to kill you.

Hopefully you feel recovered and are ready to keep up your strong training.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Yikes Lisa! Glad you are taking a day off!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Glad you came out of the heat without any lingering effects. Heat is definitely harder on some than others. Great that Martin was there! I remember running the prairie path in the western suburbs years ago. The wooded areas are very beautiful especially in the warm weather seasons.

Another memory as you say to add to your perfect cycle! Recover well and keep it up!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Dang...Glad to hear that you are taking the day off to recoup. It's amazing sometimes how the weather can affect the body so much. Good luck next time out.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah she deserved to have last night off. I was proud of her tonight, she was going to run on the mill but then decided on running outside this evening. Pretty much the same weather as Sunday, actually a little worse higher humidity and dew point. And well I will let her tell about the 8 miler she had, but I will say that I'm dam proud of her. Great job tonight Lisa Ann. I love you Very Happy I love you Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

Schuey wrote:Yeah she deserved to have last night off. I was proud of her tonight, she was going to run on the mill but then decided on running outside this evening. Pretty much the same weather as Sunday, actually a little worse higher humidity and dew point. And well I will let her tell about the 8 miler she had, but I will say that I'm dam proud of her. Great job tonight Lisa Ann. I love you Very Happy I love you Very Happy

Atta girl!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 pm

You people running outside in this crap are nuts! I may get up and run tomorrow at 5 am when it's only 80, but anything more than that I just can't do at any kind of reasonable pace.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ChasMcG Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Wow girl, I just read your run this weekend. You have to watch your body in this heat. Starting to feel cold is not a good thing okay? I just found you again....I'm not letting you go. I'm so proud of you though. You have such strength and passion and I respect that so much. I'm truly proud. <3
ChasMcG
ChasMcG
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:43 pm

mul21 wrote:You people running outside in this crap are nuts! I may get up and run tomorrow at 5 am when it's only 80, but anything more than that I just can't do at any kind of reasonable pace.

I look at it this way, I would rather get outside while I can. It could be -2 outside with 15 inches of snow. There is no way in hell I am going out in that crap!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Maybe get up early for some runs vs going in the evening? I know it's miserable either way but it's at least a little better at 5 a.m.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:02 pm

mul21 wrote:You people running outside in this crap are nuts! I may get up and run tomorrow at 5 am when it's only 80, but anything more than that I just can't do at any kind of reasonable pace.

I absolutely agree with this. There is no prize for running when it's 90-100 degrees. Don't you feel the aftereffects for the rest of the day? Fatigue? Diarrhea? Headache? Not worth it. They make treadmills for this!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Schuey wrote:Yeah she deserved to have last night off. I was proud of her tonight, she was going to run on the mill but then decided on running outside this evening. Pretty much the same weather as Sunday, actually a little worse higher humidity and dew point. And well I will let her tell about the 8 miler she had, but I will say that I'm dam proud of her. Great job tonight Lisa Ann. I love you Very Happy I love you Very Happy

I guess that means you had a successful hot weather run! Good job getting it done Lisa. Looks like none of us are getting a break from the heat. You just have to take the temp and humidity into account and adjust accordingly, which I have feeling you already know.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:18 am

Hey did you say you were doing myfitnesspal? or is it something else? Let me know what's working for you. I haven't done well the last few weeks losing wt.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 12 Empty Today I ran with friends....

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey there everyone! Thanks for the posts....we're surviving the heat and my body has gotten acclimated to running in it. Chas - don't worry, I'm not going anywhere! We have Chubby Mary's to drink next spring! Hahahaha!

Things are going great on the running front. We found a great apothecary place near our home, Merz Apothecary, and they carry Ultima. I LOVE Ultima! I've used it during the Running Fit (Michigan based running store) races. I cannot do Gatorade. I've tried. I hate loathe it. It's too sugary and makes me thirsty. I don't sweat when I drink it and I found out today that it's because of the amount of salt in it. It makes my body hold onto water, therefore, I don't sweat. I sweat like a fiend when I drink water. I found out today that I sweat like a fiend with Ultima. Good stuff!

I ran 10 miles today. It was supposed to be 4 miles that turned into 5 miles that turned into 10 miles. I just had fun, in part because we bought the Garmin Forerunner 610. Can I just say that I I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you the 610?!?!?!? My favorite Garmin thus far.

So...the title of this post. I ran with friends...not physical ones, those that have passed. Before we headed out for our runs, I was farting around on iTunes and came across an oldie, but goodie, 'I'll Be Missing You' by Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans. It came out back in 97 and I loved it then because of it reminded me of my friend that was killed in high school. I was working at ACE Hardware at the time and my buddy, Aaron came in to buy some copper coiled wire. We talked and planned on meeting up with some other friends for a game of ice hockey on a local pond. I got home after work and my mom looked like she had something she didn't want to tell me. I asked her what was wrong and she said that Aaron was killed on his way home earlier that day (as in, on his way home from ACE). Apparently, he was driving and someone from another country was driving on the wrong side of the road and hit him head on. He died. Ugh, that sucked. Fast forward to 2001 and my grandma (dad's mom) died. I remember taking her off the ventilator in the hospital and hoping she'd just keep breathing. Fast forward to 2002 when my grandpa (mom's side) died from cancer. A little back story - I am the first grandchild to be born in my family. My grandpa and I were the best of friends. Growing up, I remember being at my grandparents' house and having watermelon in the summertime on their back porch. He was always telling me how pretty I was, and no guy was going to be good enough for me (that sounds hokey, but to me, it was special and comes into play shortly) Anyway, I was fortunate enough to work 5 minutes from their home when he was going through his chemo treatments. There was one day in particular, while at work, when I told my boss that I just needed to go to lunch and spend the day with him. I started crying and my boss told me to 'go, be with your grandpa'.

I wrote a letter to my grandpa and drove over to his house. As he read it he started crying. He looked up at me and said, "I think we need to go buy a watermelon" Long story short, we went and got a watermelon, went out to lunch and spent the day together and it was great. The next morning, my mom called to tell me that he lost his eye sight and hospice had been called in. I got there and when I walked into the room, I told him hello and he said, "is that my Lisa? I can't see you". OMG, I had to leave the room because it hit me then and there that the day before was the last day he'd ever see me again. Thank God that I took the day off of work and wasn't a slave to my job. I would never have forgiven myself. He passed a couple of weeks later.

Then there was Frank, my old neighbor. He was the cutest old guy and he loved Hana (Martin and my dog). I will never forget catching him sneaking her treats through the fence. I would let her outside and she'd run right over to the fence and look for him. He gave her treats and I had told him to stop, because she sometimes got sick from them. Well, I'd let her outside and after I'd let her out, I'd look through the screen window on the back door and I'd see Frank looking to the right and to the left to see if I was around. He wouldn't see me and I'd see him give Hana a cookie through the cyclone fence. Every time, he'd bump his head on a hanging flower pot from his garage, step back and rub his head. This happened EVERY time...I'd think to myself that surely, he had to realize it was there! It made for good memories. I mention him, because so many times coming back from my runs, I'd see him on his driveway and he'd smile and give me a fist pump as if to say, "way to go". He always asked about my runs and supplied me with good English beers afterwards. Before I moved to Chicago, I talked with him and he wished me well. I gave him a hug and told him that I'd miss him. I found out a few months later that he had passed.

When I started out on my run, I had my new song, "I'll Be Missing You" playing and started thinking of all of my friends and family...my whole run. The day was beautiful, the lake was bluer than blue and I even had a butterfly fly next to me while I was running. It was a little connection to heaven for a moment and those that were in my thoughts were present for that space in time. I felt it and I just couldn't stop running. As I ran, I thought of Frank's arm pump and smiled. People looked at me like I was goofy, but that's fine, I was in my own little world. I had conversations with all of them.

Grandma - I promise to go to church more

Grandpa - Don't worry, as you know I ended up with the guy you would 100% love and approve of

Aaron - hockey lives on and Go Wildcats

Frank - I'm still running and I miss our beers and conversations..oh, and Hana says hi

I really enjoyed the run today. It was a nice run with some friends. Smile

Here are my splits from the run today. The temp was 85 degrees, 78% humidity and 73 degree dew point:

1 00:09:35
2 00:09:49
3 00:10:09
4 00:10:02
5 00:09:58
6 00:10:00
7 00:09:56
8 00:09:57
9 00:09:51
10 00:09:16

Average pace: 9:51, average HR: 164

I'll Be Missing You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0-ZU8njdo
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:43 am

Sounds like a good run....good to reflect, too.

My grandpa ran. I don't know how fast he was but my dad gave me a big box of his old race t-shirts (all cotton, of course Very Happy) when I got into running. He died when I was 6 and we lived about 11 hours away from each other so I don't have a ton of memories of him but after I ran my first marathon my dad e-mailed that my grandpa would have been proud. That meant a lot to me. I still wear some of his t-shirts just for day to day. It's funny if anyone looks at them and sees 1984 on them.

Now you have another reason to get up early on Sunday to run...so you can shower and go to church afterwards I know I'll have a "Perfect" Training Cycle - Chicago, 2011 - Page 12 424776184

take care and watch out in this heat!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Nice job on the run, Lisa. The Garmin 610 sounds nice and I may replace my 405 with that when it dies.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Great stories and great reflection of people gone by. I'm impressed with you run today too - your consistent pacing is amazing!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next