365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

uphill climb

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

uphill climb

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Glad to see most of the heart and soul here...

As of now, I have three goals that are definitely uphill for me...

In order of importance:
1. Complete the Augusta half ironman
2. Run a good marathon spring 2012 - break 3:15
3. Train for and complete the 2012 full ironman the fall of 2012 (Panama City)

Finished my first Olympic tri Sunday at 2:20 and change...

Training so far this week:
Monday (total time 138:29): Lunch - ran 4.87 miles at 7:15 pace. air temp ~ 94/5 at lunch and ~98/9 afternoon (ditto for rest of week)
PM - swam 3800 yds at a 1:50/100 yd pace
- ran 4.67 miles at 7:56 pace

Tuesday: (total time 181:02): lunch - ran 6.1 miles at 7:38 pace
PM - cycled 45.65 miles at 20.4 mph (bad crosswinds)

Wednesday: (total time 135:13): did an evening double brick workout
swam 1.2 miles at 1:47/100 yd pace
cycles 24.93 miles at 20.6 mph
ran 3.35 miles at a 7:26 pace

Thursday: (total time: 110:24): cycled 36.1 miles at 19.5 mph in a thunderstorm holding on for dear life when the 30 mph winds ripped through!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Those are some kick ass workouts in some kick ass hot temps John.
Congrats on finishing your first Olympic tri. Great goals going forward.
avatar
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Posts : 907
Points : 3388
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Irvington, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 pm

John, we're glad you're here! I agree, it is nice seeing the heart and soul here... cheers

I am impressed by your goals and I'm really excited to watch you nail them. I like how you have distinct goals and have them in order of importance. I think it does make a difference when you put them in writing and rank them like you did.

Great job on your Olympic Tri! Following your blog will be fun!!
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3638
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:23 pm

3:15? John, you're sandbagging. You'll have to slow down most of your runs to hit it, but I think a 3:10 is well within your grasp.

I'm still blown away by how fast/much you train. I can only keep a schedule like that for 3 weeks, then I fizzle. Keep up the good work, man.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3058
Points : 7174
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Schuey on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:29 pm

John I'm glad to see you over here and now have a blog up and going. There is no doubt that you my friend have a lot of HEART & SOUL yourself!

As for your 3 big goals. There is again no doubt in my mind that not only can you but you will reach all three of those goals! With your drive and commitment the sky is the limit, heck scratch that the moon is the limit!!

Looking forward to following your training and learning a thing or two from you along the way. bounce
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5312
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Tea from RonItch on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice Job, John. Augusta is a fast course. You are going to do GREAT!
avatar
Tea from RonItch
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 28
Points : 2262
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 49
Location : WAY up ther

View user profile http://www.everythinggood2day.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:04 am

Glad you can make it. Your training has amazed me. So dam intense. Are throwing in recovery days I hope? Anyways, great goals ahead and sub 3;15, go get it!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4661
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Jerry on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:17 am

Another Trier, this world changes fast. Cool
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2708
Points : 1004068
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Schuey on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:11 pm

@Jerry wrote:this world changes fast. Cool

Sometimes not fast enough geek
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5312
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:42 pm

John - I'll give you a run down on Monday of pretty much where those Peachtree hills really are. You should be fine with the hot weather although it has been down right balmy here this week with morning temps still in the high 60s! Woohoo!
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4718
Points : 10932
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:John, we're glad you're here! I agree, it is nice seeing the heart and soul here... cheers

I am impressed by your goals and I'm really excited to watch you nail them. I like how you have distinct goals and have them in order of importance. I think it does make a difference when you put them in writing and rank them like you did.

Great job on your Olympic Tri! Following your blog will be fun!!

Thanks Lisa - I don't know if they are in order of importance, but are in order of when they happen (hopefully). I still hold my #1 goal to qualify for Boston, whether it be 2012 or somewhere down the line...

@Mike MacLellan wrote:3:15? John, you're sandbagging. You'll have to slow down most of your runs to hit it, but I think a 3:10 is well within your grasp.

I'm still blown away by how fast/much you train. I can only keep a schedule like that for 3 weeks, then I fizzle. Keep up the good work, man.

Coming from a beast such as yourself, I take that as a huge compliment. You have a lot more confidence in me than I do, but I am going to hold on to that one - Thanks!

@Schuey wrote:John I'm glad to see you over here and now have a blog up and going. There is no doubt that you my friend have a lot of HEART & SOUL yourself!

As for your 3 big goals. There is again no doubt in my mind that not only can you but you will reach all three of those goals! With your drive and commitment the sky is the limit, heck scratch that the moon is the limit!!

Looking forward to following your training and learning a thing or two from you along the way. bounce

From a runner such as yourself, I again take that as a huge compliment. I don't think I have much to teach anyone - I still feel green as alien and have a ton to learn.

@Tea from RonItch wrote:Nice Job, John. Augusta is a fast course. You are going to do GREAT!

Thanks! I can't wait!!!

@Kenny B. wrote:Glad you can make it. Your training has amazed me. So dam intense. Are throwing in recovery days I hope? Anyways, great goals ahead and sub 3;15, go get it!

Thanks Kenny - I try to always take Fridays completely off!

@Jerry wrote:Another Trier, this world changes fast. Cool

I don't know if I'm a "trier" - more like an aspiring runner that likes an occasional triathlon!

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:John - I'll give you a run down on Monday of pretty much where those Peachtree hills really are. You should be fine with the hot weather although it has been down right balmy here this week with morning temps still in the high 60s! Woohoo!
I look forward to it and I hear you with the weather. I have only seen a few mornings in the 60s recently and there are none forecasted in the foreseeable future, so I hope I may have to wear a stocking cap up there What a Face !

Finished a 75.5 mile ride today at an avg pace of 20.4 mph. It took about 3:42 to finish in what was hot but not brutal hot weather (85 to 95 degrees). It was one of those blasted days where the wind seemed in my face for the whole time. I finally lost it at about mile 50 and started dropping F-bombs at the wind. I don't think it heard me. At least it didn't answer back and I wasn't around any houses at the time. I only got chased by two dogs today, so it was a pretty good day. I think I drank about 110 ounces of water and gatorade - that was fine, but it got a little sketchy when I stopped at the 40 mile mark and picked up a quick mountain dew and chugged it - stupid! I paid for that one for about the next 10 miles... Long run tomorrow...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Great job on the 75.5 mile ride! Holy cow, that's far! My butt hurts after 8 miles! lol! lol!

Eww on the Mountain Dew...I bet you did pay for it Sad Have a great day!
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3638
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:29 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:I finally lost it at about mile 50 and started dropping F-bombs at the wind. I don't think it heard me. At least it didn't answer back and I wasn't around any houses at the time. I only got chased by two dogs today, so it was a pretty good day. I think I drank about 110 ounces of water and gatorade - that was fine, but it got a little sketchy when I stopped at the 40 mile mark and picked up a quick mountain dew and chugged it - stupid! I paid for that one for about the next 10 miles...

We must've been channeling one another or something with those rides. Minus the fact that yours was over twice as long as mine. Still, I hear you on the f-bombs into the wind.
Cracking up at how 2 dog chasings means it's a good day.
And that ride sounds epic. Well done.

Out of curiosity, are you riding in aerobars for most of your training? Or is this all on the hoods/drops? If you say the latter, I'm going to cry.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3058
Points : 7174
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:52 pm

@Mike MacLellan wrote:are you riding in aerobars for most of your training?

I have an old road bike, but usually only ride it on the trainer. Most of the time I ride alone, so I pretty much stay in the aerobars the whole time on my tri bike.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fathers Day Beatdown

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:16 pm

I decided I would sleep in today and do my usual long run during church (shhh don't tell anyone!). I took off at about 8:30, which is really late to get started, but I was enjoying the relaxing morning with the fam... I knew it would be hot, so I asked my wife to stash a water bottle at mile 7 - I took off for a planned 22 mile run with a water bottle (17 oz) and my water belt carrying 32 more oz. With the extra water bottle stashed, I knew I would be OK. It was about 80 degrees with 80% humidity starting off and it didn't take long to start sweating - a lot! By the end of the run it was about 90 with 55% humidity. By the time I reached 7 miles, I had already downed my first water bottle and chugged the one my wife left me as well - I knew I might be in trouble. Long story short, I ended up asking a really nice guy at about mile 13 if I could fill my water bottle and he offered me a cold water bottle from his fridge - I gladly and gratefully accepted. At about mile 18 I ducked into our local animal shelter building and refilled my bottle again. By this time I was totally out of water and energy. I basically just grit my teeth, made it to mile 20 and shut my Garmin down and decided to walk the rest of the way. I basically wussed out and had an awful run - by the time I got home, my legs were starting to cramp and I felt like [email=cr@p]cr@p[/email]. After about collapsing in the kitchen, I stumbled to the fridge and poured myself a huge glass of orange juice - took a couple of drinks and then spilled the rest all over the kitchen. Anyway, I ended up drinking about a half of a gallon of skim milk, took a shower and felt a little better. After an hour nap and a huge sandwich, I took my son swimming and started to feel human again.

I'm sure everyone has days like these, but I started thinking to myself a)how am I going to run a full marathon at a BQ pace when i can't even finish a 22 mile run at a decent pace and b)how in the hell can I finish an ironman when I bonk a run after 20 miles a day after a ride that was only 75 miles. More motivation to get it done I guess....

Run for today: 20.0 miles, 8:46 pace, 2:55:30

For the week:
swam 5920 yds (3.36 miles): 1:44
cycled 177.8 miles: 8:59
ran 38.99 miles: 5:19

Weekly total: 16 hrs, 2 minutes

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!! I lost mine a couple of years ago and really miss him today. Until we meet again, thanks for being my Dad!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:22 pm

@John Kilpatrick wrote:I decided I would sleep in today and do my usual long run during church (shhh don't tell anyone!). I took off at about 8:30, which is really late to get started, but I was enjoying the relaxing morning with the fam... I knew it would be hot, so I asked my wife to stash a water bottle at mile 7 - I took off for a planned 22 mile run with a water bottle (17 oz) and my water belt carrying 32 more oz. With the extra water bottle stashed, I knew I would be OK. It was about 80 degrees with 80% humidity starting off and it didn't take long to start sweating - a lot! By the end of the run it was about 90 with 55% humidity. By the time I reached 7 miles, I had already downed my first water bottle and chugged the one my wife left me as well - I knew I might be in trouble. Long story short, I ended up asking a really nice guy at about mile 13 if I could fill my water bottle and he offered me a cold water bottle from his fridge - I gladly and gratefully accepted. At about mile 18 I ducked into our local animal shelter building and refilled my bottle again. By this time I was totally out of water and energy. I basically just grit my teeth, made it to mile 20 and shut my Garmin down and decided to walk the rest of the way. I basically wussed out and had an awful run - by the time I got home, my legs were starting to cramp and I felt like [email=cr@p]cr@p[/email]. After about collapsing in the kitchen, I stumbled to the fridge and poured myself a huge glass of orange juice - took a couple of drinks and then spilled the rest all over the kitchen. Anyway, I ended up drinking about a half of a gallon of skim milk, took a shower and felt a little better. After an hour nap and a huge sandwich, I took my son swimming and started to feel human again.

I'm sure everyone has days like these, but I started thinking to myself a)how am I going to run a full marathon at a BQ pace when i can't even finish a 22 mile run at a decent pace and b)how in the hell can I finish an ironman when I bonk a run after 20 miles a day after a ride that was only 75 miles. More motivation to get it done I guess....

Run for today: 20.0 miles, 8:46 pace, 2:55:30

For the week:
swam 5920 yds (3.36 miles): 1:44
cycled 177.8 miles: 8:59
ran 38.99 miles: 5:19

Weekly total: 16 hrs, 2 minutes

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!! I lost mine a couple of years ago and really miss him today. Until we meet again, thanks for being my Dad!

John - a few things: First and foremost, Happy Father's Day! Second, I would hardly call running 20 of 22 miles "wussing" out! That is WONDERFUL for the temperature you guys are getting in Georgia!!! I saw on the weather channel this morning that parts of Georgia are on the 28+ day of 90+ heat! Amazing that you got out there to do your run in the first place. Please, do not beat yourself up over your run today, you did an amazing job! You ran that incredible run the day after a 75 mile bike ride! SEVENTY FIVE MILE bike ride! Holy cow, Batman! I think your performance today was outstanding and you showed the strength in your character by getting it done. Amazing job! Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval Approval

Third - your father is looking down on you today and everyday so very proud of you. He was with you today on your run...what a wonderful Father's Day. Smile Smile
avatar
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1122
Points : 3638
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 40
Location : Knocking the turtle on it's back!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Cutting a run short sucks. Especially when it took so much out of you. But:

Look at the temperature and humidity there. 80 and 80. These are NOT IDEAL RUNNING CONDITIONS. And you cranked out 20 miles at your goal MP + 90ish. And you're still not even in your training cycle for Spring 2012.

Log the miles, forget the pace, and come back with a (temperate) vengeance next time.
avatar
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 3058
Points : 7174
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 30
Location : Arlington, VA

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Mark B on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:26 pm

You are being WAAAAY too hard on yourself, John.

Heat and humidity like that make for the sorts of conditions that makes race directors black flag events - and you were hammering away out there right in the middle of it. As long as your marathon isn't being held on the Gulf Coast in August, you'll be fine. Approval

Until then, you might want to think about getting more fluid and electrolytes back in you. It sounds like you wrung yourself out good!
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7062
Points : 15121
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Ok, John - here is the run down on the Peachtree course regarding where the hills really are:

Mile 0-1: This mostly flat and slightly downhill. You won't really notice the downhill since it is that slight, but it is really down. The mile 1 marker is just past Trader Joes.

Mile 1-2: This mile is flat to the start of the only real major downhill. The mile 2 marker is just past Moe's (on the left) as you begin the descent.

Mile 2-3: This mile is the only true downhill on the course. You need to make sure that you don't burn it all out here as the uphills are yet to come. Many people blow it out down this hill which is a pretty good grade. The downhill end around the 3 mile mark at Peachtree Battle Rd.

Mile 3-4: This is where the hills start. The first one is short and kind of steep but only last about 0.2. You then flatten out a bit, and then you climb "Cardiac Hill" which is named that because it is in front of Piedmont Hospital. This hill is not as steep as the first but is a bit longer starting around 3.5 miles and ending around 3.8. Once you get to the top, it flattens out again and you even have a slight downhill.

Mile 4-5: The last climbs are in this mile. Once you pass the 4 mile mark, you cross the interstate and the first small climb follows. This is rather short but is then followed by the longest hill which climbs from about 4.5 miles to 5 miles into Colony Square. Again, the grade isn't great, but it is near the end of the race. Even in Time Group A, you will find people walking this hill.

Mile 5-6: Once you crest the hill at 14th and Peachtree (or Colony Square), the course flattens, but there is usually a headwind even on the warmest days at this corner. This is the entrance into midtown and your first real "sky scrappers" on the corner. The mile has a very little roll to it, but is mostly flat to downhill. When you make the final left turn onto 10th street, you start the downhill. Right before 6 miles, you will cross Piedmont and go under the photo bridge. There is a slight "up" hill here, but nothing major.

The last 0.2 - This is all downhill - really!! Yesterday, the three women that I was running over the course started to "sprint" when they saw the traffic light that marks the end at Charles Allen Rd. But ha, since I knew the course, I actually ran them down since I knew the finish was/is truly a downhill grade to the finish.

Good luck, John. I expect a good time - don't go out too fast down that hill at mile 2 - and get yourself a mug for being in the top 1000. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. It was only 65F and overcast yesterday morning which was to die for!

One other tip, don't try to park at the start area. Park near/around the park or at a Marta station and rely on the train.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4718
Points : 10932
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks Mark, Mike, and Lisa - I needed that. Mark, I was as close as I've been to being delirious to date - wife was not happy when I came in looking like I did....

That is an awesome report Michele - I REALLY appreciate that Exclamation - that is just what the Dr. ordered. I thought this would just be a cool race to do, but now I'm getting sort of excited about it and would like to bust out a good time. I had never heard about a mug for the first 1,000 but it sounds pretty cool. Great tip about not blowing it on the downhill. I'll try to make you proud!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Schuey on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm a little late to the party on this but don't sweat the missing 2 miles of a 22 mile run. In that type of heat that 20 mile run is more like running 25 to 27 miles period! I can't tell you how many times I have cut a run short, had abad run, changed a run, etc. etc. etc.. Things happen but again your run in my mind was a huge success!

If anything you should be proud of yourself that you had the sense to know it was time to call it quits on a day like that and that you listen to your body. Again great run and job well done. See I learned something from you how to be "MENTAL TOUGH" on a long run on a HOT HOT DAY! Approval Approval Approval
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5312
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Natalie on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself... Your weather SUCKS! Happy Fathers' Day!
avatar
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Posts : 391
Points : 2641
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Cincinnati, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Randy E on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 am

John, we all continue to learn as we go along. I can't tell you how often I have actually thought the same thing as you regarding long runs and marathon performance. I've thought many a time,"how can I run a fast marathon ( 26.2 miles ) if a long slow 20 miler feels hard?" Well, guess what, it just happens. Trust the process. Also, when you are doing these long runs make sure you are running them slowly. There are scientific reasons for this.
Regarding your so called bonk, next time you are going to run long on a hot day supplement with sodium. Electrolytes play a huge role in performance on a hot sweaty day. If you consume too much water you can be flushing out sodium and that can be detrimental to your performance. Also, instead of water try drinking more sports drinks.
avatar
Randy E
Poster
Poster

Posts : 177
Points : 2434
Join date : 2011-06-16

View user profile http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Ken Mello on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:08 am

The fact that you are training hard in the summer AT ALL is amazing. For me, summer is "down time" where I just focus on based, and dont try to accomplish much. You should see the positive of what you are doing, in tough conditions.
avatar
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Posts : 198
Points : 2432
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Round Rock, TX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am

John,

There is no doubt the heat took its toll out on you. I won't say it is the only reason you only got 20 of your 22 (although I would not sweat (no pun intended) the other 2 miles)). You train pretty dam hard what seems to me all week long. Is it possible the combination of being over trained and heat did you in the last 2 miles. My concern is not that you did not finish the last 2 as that is no big deal at all but more so how you reacted to it. You fell apart! Spilling stuff, falling down or close to it when you got home etc etc).

Now I can be totally wrong and it could be all the heat doing this to you. But either way you got to run with a plan in mind and accordingly to the weather. 22 miles is no joke!

That said, I would take the next 48 hours to refuel, recover and rejoice.

PS: I asked you early in this thread if you do recovery days you said you take Friday off. But still does not mean you do recovery days. Day off is good but your body may need some easy days or running, etc. You can run and still recover!
avatar
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2036
Points : 4661
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 44
Location : Jersey Shore!

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Re: uphill climb

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum