365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Why is Rupp running in the trials?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is Rupp running the trials?

Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_lcap50%Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 6 ]
Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_lcap25%Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_lcap8%Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_lcap17%Why is Rupp running in the trials? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

Why is Rupp running in the trials? Empty Why is Rupp running in the trials?

Post  Dave-O on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 am

News broke this weekend that Galen Rupp will be running in the marathon trials this January. With a 60:30 half-marathon debut, he obviously has a chance to place top 3. But as the 10k record holder, why?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Why is Rupp running in the trials? Empty Re: Why is Rupp running in the trials?

Post  Chris M on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:20 am

I think it is a fascinating move by Salazar even to have him sign up. Will he start the race? Finish it? Race it all out? Talent-wise, there's no question he is a contender but the guy has never done a marathon and seemingly did the NY half just as an experiment rather than a move to long distance racing. He will be a stud at the marathon whenever he and Alberto decide that is his distance but I voted that it is not now. So how about this....he is the anti-rabbit rabbit. He enters the race for the sole purporse of demolishing the field over the first 13-15 miles with fast pacing and surges. Goes through the half in 62-63 and drops out soon after that. Meanwhile, Dathan is in on the plan and knows Rupp is dropping out so he hangs back and runs a steady paced 65 knowing that anyone who was fool enough to follow Rupp (with maybe the exception of Hall) will be coming back to him over the 2nd half. But all those other guys like Trafeh, Gotcher, Arciniga etc. would be cooked and fade big time and have littke chance of making the team if they tried to run with Rupp for a 1st half done that fast. Sure does add another level of intrigue to this race. A 26:48 10K guy being signed up HAS to give pause to the other guys who think they are contenders for one of the 3 spots.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 am

@Chris M wrote:I think it is a fascinating move by Salazar even to have him sign up. Will he start the race? Finish it? Race it all out? Talent-wise, there's no question he is a contender but the guy has never done a marathon and seemingly did the NY half just as an experiment rather than a move to long distance racing. He will be a stud at the marathon whenever he and Alberto decide that is his distance but I voted that it is not now. So how about this....he is the anti-rabbit rabbit. He enters the race for the sole purporse of demolishing the field over the first 13-15 miles with fast pacing and surges. Goes through the half in 62-63 and drops out soon after that. Meanwhile, Dathan is in on the plan and knows Rupp is dropping out so he hangs back and runs a steady paced 65 knowing that anyone who was fool enough to follow Rupp (with maybe the exception of Hall) will be coming back to him over the 2nd half. But all those other guys like Trafeh, Gotcher, Arciniga etc. would be cooked and fade big time and have littke chance of making the team if they tried to run with Rupp for a 1st half done that fast. Sure does add another level of intrigue to this race. A 26:48 10K guy being signed up HAS to give pause to the other guys who think they are contenders for one of the 3 spots.

Interesting thoughts, but the question is whether any of those fringe contenders would go with Rupp.

The smart move is to fight for third. If Rupp tries to stretch the field, let him and Hall do so. The rest of the guys should stay glued to Ritz and Meb and fight for third, also knowing there's a good chance Rupp doesn't finish the race.

Man, I'm getting really excited for this one.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 am

People with more knowledge of the Houston set up can chime in but I also think that it is a multi-loop course so the coaches will have a big opportunity to get info on what is going on and yell it out to their runners. A much better set up for that than a pure point to point course like Boston. So, for example, if Rupp does drop out, word would get passed to all of the runners quickly. Is the women's race happening at the same time with the men's? I wish that wasn't the case. Both are going to be pretty wild battles for those 3 spots.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 pm

The men start at 8 am, and the women start at 8:15 AM. I'm pretty sure they run the same course, so I don'tnow why they think the "rabbit" thing won't happen for the women - won't the top women catch the back group of guys?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes it is a multi-loop course and if anyone drops out the other runners will probably know pretty soon. It will be interesting to see what Rupp does in this race. That reminds me, I need to figure out where I am going to park myself to get the best view/most views of the runners. I can't wait for these races.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

@Joel H wrote:Yes it is a multi-loop course and if anyone drops out the other runners will probably know pretty soon. It will be interesting to see what Rupp does in this race. That reminds me, I need to figure out where I am going to park myself to get the best view/most views of the runners. I can't wait for these races.

Me neither. If I don't get to volunteer, we will have to meet up to watch.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:53 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
@Joel H wrote:Yes it is a multi-loop course and if anyone drops out the other runners will probably know pretty soon. It will be interesting to see what Rupp does in this race. That reminds me, I need to figure out where I am going to park myself to get the best view/most views of the runners. I can't wait for these races.

Me neither. If I don't get to volunteer, we will have to meet up to watch.

Absolutely, I plan on posting a thread in the Race Reports section to get a head count and where we want to meet. I believe Ounce is already organizing the lunch afterwards.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:31 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:The men start at 8 am, and the women start at 8:15 AM. I'm pretty sure they run the same course, so I don'tnow why they think the "rabbit" thing won't happen for the women - won't the top women catch the back group of guys?

I don't see that happening. With a 15 minute head start and everyone in the race capable of running a 2:19 or faster, that would mean that the men would have to run a 2:35+ and the woman would have to run a 2:20 just to catch them at 26.2. To get any actual pacing out of it, the splits would have to be much greater.
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:03 pm

The course starts with a 2.2 mile loop downtown, followed by 3-8 mile loops.

I will be stationed at the Yellow water station at the turnaround on Shepherd Drive, the farthest western point of the course.

Joel, they haven't released the street closure list yet, but I would imagine Waugh Drive would be the better location, outside of downtown, because you can go back and forth between Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway, plus see them on Waugh, when they're going south to West Dallas and back. Hard to say how the Marathon will funnel and guide pedestrian traffic, plus whether they'll let people take up viewing positions on the overpasses.

I plan on arraging the Saturday lunch again, probably at the same place near House of Blues, but at 1 p.m.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm

@ounce wrote:The course starts with a 2.2 mile loop downtown, followed by 3-8 mile loops.

I will be stationed at the Yellow water station at the turnaround on Shepherd Drive, the farthest western point of the course.

Joel, they haven't released the street closure list yet, but I would imagine Waugh Drive would be the better location, outside of downtown, because you can go back and forth between Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway, plus see them on Waugh, when they're going south to West Dallas and back. Hard to say how the Marathon will funnel and guide pedestrian traffic, plus whether they'll let people take up viewing positions on the overpasses.

I plan on arraging the Saturday lunch again, probably at the same place near House of Blues, but at 1 p.m.

Thanks Doug!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:12 pm

If he actually runs, this just brought the men's race to whole another level of interest.

I'm not sure Ritz needs any pacing. I'm also not sure he'd use this race for a workout then drop out. I think if he toes the line then he tries to make the team just to keep his options open in case something happens on the track.

I don't think he'll actually run it but either way this is great.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Pace Ritz, if he shows up.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Why don't you just tweet him the question? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 pm

My guess is that he'll do ~20 as a long tempo trying to pace Ritz.

Remember how he looked at the end of that half in NY? When Mo and Gebre took off the last 400m leaving Rupp in their dust? I don't think he will finish his first marathon but I am excited to see him try!
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

@Ben Z wrote:My guess is that he'll do ~20 as a long tempo trying to pace Ritz.

Remember how he looked at the end of that half in NY? When Mo and Gebre took off the last 400m leaving Rupp in their dust? I don't think he will finish his first marathon but I am excited to see him try!

A 60:30 debut is sick.

If he's regularly doing 20-22 mile training runs, I see no reason he can't run a 2:10 debut marathon - which would be considerably slower than his 10k and HM times indicate he's capable of.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm

The schedule of events works in favor of a 10k-marathon double. I'd prefer than over wasting his time in the 5k.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:56 pm

@Dave-O wrote:News broke this weekend that Galen Rupp will be running in the marathon trials this January.

Where did he announce that he is running? I've only read that he entered his name in before the deadline. Was there an official announcement somewhere? Curious.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 am

@Sara Jane wrote:
@Dave-O wrote:News broke this weekend that Galen Rupp will be running in the marathon trials this January.

Where did he announce that he is running? I've only read that he entered his name in before the deadline. Was there an official announcement somewhere? Curious.

No, the latest is that he's undecided. He has only entered his name, you are correct.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:11 pm

@Sara Jane wrote:

Poor word choice on my part. Very Happy
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 pm

@Dave-O wrote:
@Sara Jane wrote:

Poor word choice on my part. Very Happy

Ah, OK. That being the case - I wonder when he'll decide. But, more importantly, if he DOES run, I wonder if he'll wear the mask.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm

@Sara Jane wrote:

Ah, OK. That being the case - I wonder when he'll decide. But, more importantly, if he DOES run, I wonder if he'll wear the mask.

Don't hold it against me if I'm wrong, but I believe January 9th is the deadline for qualifiers to officially declare if they will be entering the race.

Of course, that doesn't mean he won't be entering as a workout or pacer.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 pm

I believe you are correct, I found this on the USATF website:

DECLARATIONS PROCESS
Once properly entered, all athletes must complete the declaration process. During this
process you must declare your intention to compete or not to compete in the Olympic Team
Trials and may also update your qualifying mark.
 DECLARATIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON-LINE at www.usatf.org. No other
form of declarations will be accepted.
 Declarations begin at 9:00 a.m. ET, Monday, January 9, 2012 and close at 12:00 noon
ET, January 10, 2012.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:10 am

Because he can. He may very well have a chance, he's at the top of his game right now, why not?
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next