365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

21 miles on the treadmill

+12
fostever
Michael Enright
Julie
Chris M
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
Diego
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
Dave-O
Tim C
Ben Z
16 posters

Go down

21 miles on the treadmill Empty 21 miles on the treadmill

Post  Ben Z Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 pm

This was my long run on Sunday. No music, TV or anything else to distract me. Just 2:40:00+ on the dreadmill listening to the non-stop Mariah Carey albums over the gym sound system (thanks for that gym employees).

Easily one of the most boring runs of my life. It sucked.

But mentally I feel like I can handle anything in my next race now.

The last (and only other) time I did a 20 mile long run on a treadmill was in 2007, I remember that sucked too.

Anyone else done this depressing workout before? I know some have done long runs on a cruise ship - that would be even worse I think.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

21 miles on the treadmill Empty Re: 21 miles on the treadmill

Post  Tim C Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:48 am

I was travelling last week and did two 4 mile runs on the hotel treadmill. First time in a year or two I had to.

I cannot even imagine doing 21 miles on one...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:10 am

I've done a handful of 20's on the treadmill, including 1 on a cruise ship. That one was easy because I was looking at Alaskan glaciers and icebergs the whole time.

The others required either music or watching a movie. Doing that without distraction would be tough.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am

I couldn't do it. I always hated the part when the thing would shutdown after 60 minutes, then you have to reset and restart.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 am

Please, first tell me why?? Don't you live in San Diego?? No reason to ever run indoors there Wink

Anyway, the longest I ever ran on the dreadmill was 18 miles during a snowstorm when I last lived in Cleveland. I also have run a couple of 12 milers - both here in Atlanta due to ice storms and the fact that I couldn't leave my subdivision or run on the iced over hilly roads in the subdivision. I'm hoping that 12 is about the limit, but who knows - it is back to Cleveland next winter.

Mentally - I think you are right on!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 am

I ran 6 treadmill long runs of 2.5-3 hours one summer in Vegas getting ready for Chicago. I'd go easy pace for 30 minutes, MP for 30, and repeat. It was quite nice having the gatorade next to me. I tried to time it when a football game was on, even though the screens were 60 feet away at 24 Hour Fitness.

I was so burnt out by the time that I BQ'd at Chicago that I didn't run(much) again for almost 5 years.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I've lost count of how many 20 and 20 plus mile runs I have done on a treadmill. At first they sucked but now it is like nothing to be on it for that many miles. It has help teach me how to stay mentally focused for longer periods. Heck I have even done back to back long runs on the mill of 23 and 26 miles. So again not that big of deal to me, it's running and it's training have to do what you have to do some times.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Oof. I'm done after an hour, tops. Don't care if it's pouring/snowing/Apocalypse outside; I'm going outside after that.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Not that bad at all. Its really only a mental challenge and a good tv show or movie takes care of it. I like to break it into 4 different 5 mile runs with a short water break and/or potty stop after each 5 mile run. Just mentally seems easier only having the counter go to 5.00 and then you hop off and hop back on and start at 0.00 again. I would always prefer running outside but I think that doing long runs in truly bad weather compromises a good deal of what I'm hoping to get out of the key workout.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 am

I did 15 miles once but it was during a snow storm and a friend convinced me to go to the Y with him. But as slow as I run it did take me about 2:30. I had a TV on, though, pretty sure.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:21 am

Been there, done that. I really didn't mind, but watched a basketball game (or two - I'm slower than you) to distract me. It was that or try to run in two feet of fresh snow...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 pm

I think 14 was my longest on the mill and yes I-pod with Allman Brothers, Hendrix, Santana, ect. because as you eluded to the health club techno pop is hellish.Evil or Very Mad
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't mind my long runs on the mill...

I did 12 last SUN and 16 the week before. You can DVR a football game and get through a good chunk of it. I know it's not ideal training, but I'm not an ideal trainer.

I do plan on 16 outdoors this weekend, but we shall see.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Schuey wrote:I've lost count of how many 20 and 20 plus mile runs I have done on a treadmill. At first they sucked but now it is like nothing to be on it for that many miles. It has help teach me how to stay mentally focused for longer periods. Heck I have even done back to back long runs on the mill of 23 and 26 miles. So again not that big of deal to me, it's running and it's training have to do what you have to do some times.

I was waiting for Schuey to chime in. He and Lisa are the treadmill king and queen!

My longest on the mill was an 18-miler last winter while training for Boston. I did it in a gym where the treadmills have their own TV's. The day I did it was early in the Arab Spring, on the day that Mubarak was forced from power in Egypt. Being a news junkie, that kept my attention pretty well. That said, I don't foresee going that long on the treadmill again any time soon. Besides it being boring as all hell, I don't think all those treadmill miles prepared me all that well, at least not for the Boston course.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 am

I run almost exclusively on the treadmill during the winter. I hate the cold more than the treadmill. I've done many a 20 on the mill. Even a couple of 30's!
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 am

I despise treadmills. Not so much because of the boredom, but because I hate how they feel. So I will run in circles around an indoor track instead if I can't get outside. 16 is my longest when deep snow and ice meant that I couldn't run outside. I did about 4 of that on the treadmill, which was torture, and then 12 on the track with my music on. I don't mind the track so much, and run a lot of short runs on an indoor track across the street from the court where I work, but the going in circles that long makes my IT band sore.

When I had my stress fracture, I did a couple of 2 hour stints on an elliptical after the Dr cleared me to run, but didn't want me running long yet. that was boring and my feet got kind of numb, but I just watched the TV-food channel and Paula Deen, which made me want to eat cake right after!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down