365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Offseason??...What's that??

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Finished 5.25 miles tonight. My legs were still a little tired from my Sunday run, but I was able to push through them at a 7:42 pace. I missed the feeling of tired legs Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Julie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 am

Just catching up, I hope you have fun in ON and the weather is perfect and all of that (although I hope you're not worrying about it with 7 mos to go). Sounds like you're doing some good training. That tired legs feeling is very satisfying.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6161
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:54 pm

14.12 mile LSD today at a 7:48 pace and an average HR of 147. I chose my hilly route this morning, which is more challenging than my other route. It was very windy this morning which only added to the difficulty. Overall, I was very happy with the run, as I finished feeling like I could go at least another 4 or 5 more Smile.

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  mul21 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:00 pm

What's your max HR? I was feeling that way myself around 14 today and was completely cooked when I got done with 16. The wind today definitely made about 1/2 my run a bit of a challenge today.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4483
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm

@mul21 wrote:What's your max HR? I was feeling that way myself around 14 today and was completely cooked when I got done with 16. The wind today definitely made about 1/2 my run a bit of a challenge today.

My max is 185...So, I was still under 80%, but not where I want to be at.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  mul21 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@mul21 wrote:What's your max HR? I was feeling that way myself around 14 today and was completely cooked when I got done with 16. The wind today definitely made about 1/2 my run a bit of a challenge today.

My max is 185...So, I was still under 80%, but not where I want to be at.

Interesting. I'm still out of shape, but getting closer at this point. I knocked out 16 today at 8:09 with a HR of 156. My max is 200-205 or so.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4483
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:12 pm

@mul21 wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@mul21 wrote:What's your max HR? I was feeling that way myself around 14 today and was completely cooked when I got done with 16. The wind today definitely made about 1/2 my run a bit of a challenge today.

My max is 185...So, I was still under 80%, but not where I want to be at.

Interesting. I'm still out of shape, but getting closer at this point. I knocked out 16 today at 8:09 with a HR of 156. My max is 200-205 or so.

No worries...We'll get there...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Three mile recovery yesterday followed by an easy five miles tonight. I didn't feel much like running this afternoon as it was a cold and windy 42 degrees out. But I forced myself outside and finished off the five and change. It's days like today (the days when the elements suck and you don't feel much like running) that define you as a runner. And will hopefully give me an edge this summer Smile

Tomorrow I am heading to Atlanta where I will be until Friday morning meeting with a health system. Anyone got any good places to run in the Atlanta area...in particular the northwestern area near Marietta??
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 pm

I live up that way, Nick - so you will have to let me know where you are exactly staying and if you have a car. What is affectionately called "The River" or "Columns Drive" is a park and road area where loads of people run every day. There is a flat 3 mile gravel loop in the park, a 5 mile flat run on Columns Dr, or a varied mileage run in the trails above the park which are hilly, but fun. You can access this area from the New Northside Dr/Powers Ferry exit off I285 or the access road from Windy Hill Rd (by the Marriott Interstate Pkwy). Wherever you are staying, they should be able to direct you there.

If you are staying closer to downtown Marietta, then you have great access to the trails at Kennesaw Mtn National Park. Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield was one of the last southern strongholds to fall before Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground. It is a great trail system and fun to run in if you like history as well. If you are bold, you can run the 1.5 miles to the top of the mountain (road - you have to hike the path) and wonder how they got those darn cannons up there and realize why they left them.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4718
Points : 10932
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:41 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I live up that way, Nick - so you will have to let me know where you are exactly staying and if you have a car. What is affectionately called "The River" or "Columns Drive" is a park and road area where loads of people run every day. There is a flat 3 mile gravel loop in the park, a 5 mile flat run on Columns Dr, or a varied mileage run in the trails above the park which are hilly, but fun. You can access this area from the New Northside Dr/Powers Ferry exit off I285 or the access road from Windy Hill Rd (by the Marriott Interstate Pkwy). Wherever you are staying, they should be able to direct you there.

If you are staying closer to downtown Marietta, then you have great access to the trails at Kennesaw Mtn National Park. Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield was one of the last southern strongholds to fall before Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground. It is a great trail system and fun to run in if you like history as well. If you are bold, you can run the 1.5 miles to the top of the mountain (road - you have to hike the path) and wonder how they got those darn cannons up there and realize why they left them.

Yes, I do have a car and am staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on Delk Rd. Anything close??
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:02 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I live up that way, Nick - so you will have to let me know where you are exactly staying and if you have a car. What is affectionately called "The River" or "Columns Drive" is a park and road area where loads of people run every day. There is a flat 3 mile gravel loop in the park, a 5 mile flat run on Columns Dr, or a varied mileage run in the trails above the park which are hilly, but fun. You can access this area from the New Northside Dr/Powers Ferry exit off I285 or the access road from Windy Hill Rd (by the Marriott Interstate Pkwy). Wherever you are staying, they should be able to direct you there.

If you are staying closer to downtown Marietta, then you have great access to the trails at Kennesaw Mtn National Park. Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield was one of the last southern strongholds to fall before Sherman burned Atlanta to the ground. It is a great trail system and fun to run in if you like history as well. If you are bold, you can run the 1.5 miles to the top of the mountain (road - you have to hike the path) and wonder how they got those darn cannons up there and realize why they left them.

Yes, I do have a car and am staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on Delk Rd. Anything close??

Actually, looking at a map, I am maybe 5-10 minutes from the Columns Dr Park.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm

First and foremost, I would like to thank Michele for giving me suggestions on where I can run in the northern Atlanta area. I took her advice and went to the Chattahoochee River Park. There, they have a running/biking trail. After a quick half mile run from the parking area, there is a two mile loop that runs along the river and out into the forest and then back to the river. I completed two laps around the loop and made my way back to my car for a total of 5.25 miles at a 7:26 pace. It was a very cool crushed gravel trail that has a lot of shaded areas, which I am sure come in handy during the warm summer months. The softer gravel was a nice change of pace from the concrete/asphalt that I normally run on.

Thanks again Michele!!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Moved up my LSD run to today. Hammered out 12.37 miles at a 7:40 pace and an average HR of 143.

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Sounds like a nice run in ATL - I am curious as to how slowly my running will come back around after this layoff - also sounds like you are getting right back into the swing of things pretty quickly.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4110
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 47
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 am

Whew...after a short hiatus from the boards, I am back with an update of what I have been up to the last couple of weeks.

Last weekend, I went to visit my parents, which always gives me a chance to run on different terrain. My parents live in a more rural area, that has a crushed limestone bike path, where old train tracks used to lie. I ran a 14 miler while i was there. It was nice to get outdoors and run along the wooded path that took me over a few streams and a small river. The limestone was soft and a nice change up from the normal concrete and asphalt.

This past week I traveled to Boise, ID for work, where I found it to be unseasonably worm Smile I got to enjoy some nice 80 degree weather, which made me happy. Wednesday evening after two long days of client meetings, I was able to get out for a run. Boise has a really nice bike path system that runs along the Boise River, called the "Greenbelt". Luckily my hotel was near the path and I was easily able get onto the path. The one thing that I didn't expect, was the thunderstorm that decided to hit at about the two mile mark of my 7 mile run. By the time I go to my turn around point, I was completely drenched from the rain. No complaints from me though, as it was a nice warm rain. It reminded me of some of the summer runs that I have had in the past. By the time I finished up my 7 miles the rain showers had made there way through and I was able to dry out a little bit.

As for the upcoming weekend, I have an 8k race on the docket for tomorrow, followed by a 14 mile run on Sunday. The race on Saturday is the first race that my sister has ever ran. So, being the awesome big brother that I am, will be sacrificing my time to run with her. I am kind of excited for her to run her first race. She had asked me for pointers and training tips along the way and a lot of what I told her, I have learned from you all.

Anyways...I hope that everyone enjoys the weekend!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:57 pm

14.21 miles...

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun May 06, 2012 10:02 pm

This past week wasa a step back week that saw the start of my hill training. Starting this past wednesday and continuing every Wednesday until my training program starts I will embark in hill repeats. I love , because they are a great change up from the same old. But at the same time, they can be the most challenging runs of the week.

Saturday, I completed an easy 12 miler as I get ready for a nice increase this week.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 am

8.5 mile tempo run this morning. Peaked out at 6:35 for the middle mile...

16 scheduled for tomorrow, which will be my farthest distance since the fall...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Julie on Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Enjoy the long run!
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2602
Points : 6161
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Schuey on Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Keep it up Nick, things are looking good! Have fun on that 16 miler tomorrow. Oh hope you have been enjoying my favorite training run "Fartleks"!

Off topic of running who is going to be the starting QB for the Badgers this fall?
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5312
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun May 13, 2012 11:37 am

@Schuey wrote:Keep it up Nick, things are looking good! Have fun on that 16 miler tomorrow. Oh hope you have been enjoying my favorite training run "Fartleks"!

Off topic of running who is going to be the starting QB for the Badgers this fall?



Thanks Schuey!!! I really do enjoy fartleks. They are challenging, yet fun, and break up the normal routine.

As for the Badgers, for the second year in a row, we hae a transfer from another program. This year it is Danny O'Brien who is transfering from Maryland. Like Wilson, he graduated early and is able to tranfer without having to sit out a year. Unlike Wilson, though, he will have two years of eligibility. He was ACC Rookie of the Year in 2010 and if he has half the talent of Wilson, we should be alright.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Schuey on Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Schuey wrote:Keep it up Nick, things are looking good! Have fun on that 16 miler tomorrow. Oh hope you have been enjoying my favorite training run "Fartleks"!

Off topic of running who is going to be the starting QB for the Badgers this fall?



Thanks Schuey!!! I really do enjoy fartleks. They are challenging, yet fun, and break up the normal routine.

As for the Badgers, for the second year in a row, we hae a transfer from another program. This year it is Danny O'Brien who is transfering from Maryland. Like Wilson, he graduated early and is able to tranfer without having to sit out a year. Unlike Wilson, though, he will have two years of eligibility. He was ACC Rookie of the Year in 2010 and if he has half the talent of Wilson, we should be alright.

Hear you on the Fartlek workouts, I love them and feel that they have been one of the best workouts that have help succeed in reach my goals during a race. The way I look at is that you don't run every mile at the exact pace, therefore the fartlek is a great way to be able to practice and be prepared to slow up and then pick the pace back up. Keep at them and you will see what I mean come race day.

Yeah I could remember O'Brien's name but knew he was transferring in from the Terps, went from being rookie of the year to not fitting in with the new coach at Maryland. Should be another interesting year in the Big 10 (12) especially with Michigan and other teams joining the fray of contending for the Big 10 Championship.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5312
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sun May 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Happy Mother's Day!!! 16 miles today on a beautiful Mother's Day!! This distance is the farthest that I have ran since last fall and it felt great to get the time on my legs. I'll admit that I was a little bit tired after the run, but it was a good tired. I liken this run to a pitcher during Spring Training. As they pitch more and more games and get more time on their arms, they start to stretch themselves out. THis means that they are able to pitch more pitches and throw more ininnings in a game. Getting over that 14 mile hump and getting a two hour run on my legs is the running equivilent of getting stretched out.

See below for a special Mother's Day message...

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sat May 19, 2012 5:18 am

Is summer finally here? It was 87 yesterday as I started my afternoon run. Which brough back memories of last summer amd all of the warm runs that we had ran. Today is more of the same with 87 scheduled for the high. That is why I am up at 4am this morning to head out for my LSD.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Nick Morris on Sat May 19, 2012 10:07 am

A balmy 64 degrees at 4 am when I awoke this morning. I put in an easy 12.35 miles at a 7:50 pace and an average HR of 142. Things are looking good as I am getting close (two weeks) to the start of my training cycle...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11811
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Offseason??...What's that??

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum