365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Marathon Cheaters

Go down

Marathon Cheaters

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 am

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12174
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Julie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:01 pm

claiming Pheidippides cheated was a bit of a stretch...but seriously, don't people think they'll be caught? I find it annoying when people even joke about cheating or taking a short cut during a marathon. If you're not ready to run the whole distance then just pick a shorter race instead of cheapening it.
avatar
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2612
Points : 6547
Join date : 2011-06-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 pm

@Julie wrote:claiming Pheidippides cheated was a bit of a stretch...but seriously, don't people think they'll be caught? I find it annoying when people even joke about cheating or taking a short cut during a marathon. If you're not ready to run the whole distance then just pick a shorter race instead of cheapening it.

True story...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 12174
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  fostever on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:36 pm

The marathon used to be 25 miles until the King and Queen had their influence. So blame them when you are agonizing on that last 1.2
avatar
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1356
Points : 5608
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 59
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:30 pm

There were chip mats everywhere on the NYC course - about every mile in the 2nd half - no more Rosie's there.

I was told by some guy in the bus that someone had cheated at Marine Corps and was on the podium - any truth in that?
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4818
Points : 11552
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  healdgator on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Based on my LSD of this past weekend, if I tried to shortcut the course it would likely turn into a 28.4 miler or something.
avatar
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Posts : 585
Points : 3283
Join date : 2011-06-23
Age : 44
Location : Orlando

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  ssilvert on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm

It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan
avatar
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Posts : 173
Points : 2763
Join date : 2011-08-12
Age : 50
Location : Atlanta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  John Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I was sort of traumatized at what I thought I saw at 1:07-1:10 scratch. I have no idea why people think they could cheat, nor why they would want to? Idiots....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1542
Points : 4473
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 48
Location : Leesburg, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  mountandog on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm

@ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1394
Points : 5793
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Dave Wolfe on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 am

@mountandog wrote:
@ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy
avatar
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Posts : 326
Points : 3011
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : NYC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Diego on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 pm

Ah, but did Pheidippides even run that fabled distance? I understand he was more of an ultramarathoner. http://www.ancientgreekbattles.net/Pages/People/Pheidippides.htm
avatar
Diego
Regular
Regular

Posts : 599
Points : 3368
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 54
Location : Maine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 pm

@Dave Wolfe wrote:
@mountandog wrote:
@ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy

Actually Jacqueline Gareau from Canada was the woman's "real" winner that year and they honored her in both 1992 and 2002 with special ceremonies since we all know she was gypped.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4818
Points : 11552
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:52 am

avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4818
Points : 11552
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  fostever on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
@Dave Wolfe wrote:
@mountandog wrote:
@ssilvert wrote:It takes a pretty pathetic person to cheat. Nobody really cares where you finished or in what time. It's your moment, your race, your experience.

Even at the elite level, few races are truly remembered. Who is the sad cheater trying to impress?

Stan

Sad thing is I know who Rosie Ruiz is. No idea who the real winner was although I can look it up. But I will never forget her name. Oh well.

Bill Rodgers? Very Happy

Actually Jacqueline Gareau from Canada was the woman's "real" winner that year and they honored her in both 1992 and 2002 with special ceremonies since we all know she was gypped.
You just offended all law abiding Gypsies everywhere!
avatar
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1356
Points : 5608
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 59
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  littlewally and farnk on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Ran a race this weekend with old V-Team friends. I hit the turn around and saw V-team friends, then a few minutes later saw a lady with BIG HUGE ENORMOUS turkey feathers on her back.

Somehow this lady finished ahead of V-team peeps-BUT SHE NEVER PASSED THEM! She cheated in the last 2 miles of a 10K!



edit. Friends are not old, they are friends I met a long time ago..............
avatar
littlewally and farnk
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 54
Points : 2667
Join date : 2011-06-18
Age : 53
Location : In a 6 pack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marathon Cheaters

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum